A protien rich lentil soup loaded with vegetables is Molagooshyam. Its ideal for people on diet or looking for a light meal over dinner.
Molagooshyam is a traditional dish from Palakad Cuisine. This dish was introduced to me by my partner in crime at home Mr SK. He knows to cook some of his comfort dishes and this one among them. Amma had only made, probably as far as I took interest only the elaborate version of this dish – Molagutal which requires grinding coconut, cumin seeds and stirring in the lentil vegetable mixture steamed in the cooker. Anyways that is in my coming posts.
This post here is among my first posts , from where my blog begun and hence it had no pictures. In fact no pre-write up. Having said that, I decided to add a picture to these picture-less posts as and when I find time and add it to my catalog of traditional dishes.
Heading straight to this delicious comfort meal .It has got very simple ingredients, some very essential ingredients. Coconut Oil and Curry Leaves are a must and it has no substitution for the flavor.
1/2 Cup Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu
Roughly 2 Cups of Vegetables
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tblspn of Coconut oil
- Wash and dice vegetables of choice into cubes like Chayote ( Also known as Chow Chow) , Carrot , Potato . And pop in some peas – either fresh or frozen into the vegetable mix and give them all a good wash. Slit the green chillies into 2 .
- Wash the Moong Dal under running tap water and set it aside.
- Prepare for pressure cooking the lentil vegetable mixture by placing the washed Dal ,chopped vegetable,slit green chillies in a large vessel sitting inside the pressure cooker . Add turmeric and enough water to cover vegetables- Approximately 2 Cups and pressure cook until the dal is cooked.
- Once the pressure from the cooker is released, transfer the lentil mixture into a steel pan. Add the required amount of salt , a dollop of coconut oil and a sprig of curry leaves. Boil for about 2 minutes in total and serve it hot with steam rice.
- Make a nice vegetable salad to go with this.
- Molagooshyam is ready to be served.
You could choose vegetables like Raw Banana,White Pumpkin, Ash gourd, Yam too.