Pav Bhaji… a toungue tickling & mouth watering dish that any Mumbai wala cant resist.
Specially the ones made in Juhu Beach…& the ones by the road side telawala(cart guys). They have got a magic ingredient that draws anyone & everyone to their stand.
I am totally fascinated & bowled over by a Restaurant named Garnish in Matunga. A must visit place for all Pav Bhaji lovers be it Jain style or Cheesy Pav Bhaji…. or the regular one… My total inspiration for Pav Bhaji is Garnish. Still hoping to go back to Mumbai someday.. and have it there:)
I have made my own PAV. It was bingo in my very first attempt. Check it out here.
|Sunflower oil||2 Tsp|
|Chopped garlic||3 cloves(optional)|
|finely chopped green chillies||1-2 Nos( depending upon hotness|
|Medium sized onions||2 Nos chopped finely|
|Freshly grated ginger||1 Tsp|
|Medium size Tomato||4 Nos diced finely|
|Cauliflower florets||1/2 cup|
|Green Pepper||1 Nos chopped finely|
|Potato||3-4 Nos boiled & mashed|
Powders & Garnishing:
|Pav Bhaji masala||2-3 Tsp( I have used an Everest one)|
|Turmeric Powder||3/4 Tsp|
|Chilli Powder||1/2 Tsp|
|Salted Butter||50 gm|
|Lemon Juice||3-4 Tsp|
|Coriander Leaves||1/4 cup|
|Sliced Lemon||4 pieces|
|Finely chopped onions||1/4 cup|
|Sliced Lemon||4 pieces|
- Cook cauliflower , peas ,carrots , green pepper together in a pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan .Add garlic & green chillies and saute for 30-40 seconds. Now add ginger & onions and saute until it turns light brown. Add a pinch of salt while frying onions. It will help to evaporate the water & fry quickly.
- Add the diced tomatoes to it and cook on medium heat for three to four minutes, stirring continuously or till oil separates from the masala.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder , 1 tsp pav bhajji powder to the mixture.
- Now add the cooked vegetables & mashed potatoes to this mixture along with 1-1.5 glasses of water.Using a potato smasher , press the vegetables a few times till all of them are completely smashed.Bring it to a boil and simmer for ten minutes. Add the rest of the pav bhaji masala and salt now.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes and stir continously.
- Garnish the bhajji with chopped onions and lemon juice.
For Serving :
- Heat some butter in a tawa. Slice pav horizontally into two and pan fry in butter for half a minute, pressing two or three times or till pav is crisp and light brown.
- Garnish the bhaji with chopped coriander leaves, a little of butter and serve hot with pav accompanied with remaining chopped onion and lemon wedges.
- Cheese lovers can grate some cheese on the bhaji and call it cheese pav bhaji.
- Jains can also make this pav bhaji.. without using onions.. and believe me.. its really yummy… too.. I have tried it ..and its fab