Festival season has kicked in and its time for sweets. Among all festivals, Ganesha festival is my favourite as he is the vignahartha and my favourite god.Secondly its for the yummy koyakattai’s. I managed to make 21 of them with this receipe below. My mom & grandma are real specialists at it . I got this receipe from them.
- Fresh Grated coconut(thengai) – 4 small cups
- Red Jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamon (Elachi) – 2 (Powdered)
- 1 tsp ghee
- Make sure the jaggery is broken down into small pieces.
- Bring 2 cups of water to boiling and then add the red jaggery.Add the cardamon powder.
- Once the jaggery blends well with water and comes to a slightly medium consistency add the grated coconut and stir it well to mix well.
- Add 1 tsp ghee now . Stir again.
- Remove from the flame once the poornam mixture is ready .As in its thick enough with liquid in it.
- When it is warm make small round balls and set aside.
For the kozhakattai dough:
- Fine fresh rice flour – 1 large cup
- Water – 2.25 large cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 3 spoons
- Bring 2.25 cup of water to boil in a pan. now keep aside 1/4cup water. We can add it if the dough gets thick.
- Add Salt and oil to the boiling generic for tetracycline water.Now turn the gas to low flame. Add the rice flour slowly and keep stiring continously until we obtain a soft dough.
- Turn of the gas and keep it aside.
- First in a cup of hot water add 1/2 cocnut oil.
- For preparing the kozhakattai , we need to rub oil in our palm in order to avoid sticking.
- Now prepare the dough into a cup, add one poornam ball, and close it by gathering all sides and forming a cone at the top, so it seals tightly. Touch the water- oil mixture using finger tips while forming the cone.
- Steam the prepared kozhakattai’s in a cooker without the whistle for 10-12 min in fully low flame.
- Kozhakattai’s are now ready for archanai for Lord Ganesha .Tip: Apply ghee to the plate on which kozhakattai dumplings are to be placed for steaming.PS : Sending across this entry to Shanthi’s State Specials Event
Also sending it across to Purva’s Festival Food Event