Bringing one more recipe straight from my Granny inventions… yup u read it right .. Bitter Gourd Pickle.. But how does it taste?? Bitter , Sour ?? Guys its Sweet,Hot,Tangy and just yummy…
Let me tell u a little instance what inspired me to make this lovely pickle…
Way back during my India trip , I was looking for a pickle to go for Curd Rice. My mum prompted me to get a little pickle bottle from the fridge and asked me to try it.. I tried a bit and said ..yumm mango pickle…. Later she said.. with a big smile 🙂 Tis Bitter gourd pickle..!!
Am sure u will enjooy it… ! It goes well with just plain rice , curd rice or dosa / idli… anything:)
Total Time : 50 min – 1 hr
|Bitter Gourd ( Pavakai)||Medium sized 3 Nos|
|Tamarind||Cricket ball sized|
|Jaggery||Same quantity as the tamarind|
|Chilli Powder||3 Tsp|
|Sesame oil/Gingelly Oil||4-5 Laddles|
|Chana Dal /Kadala Parup||1/2 Tsp|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 Tsp|
|Methi Seeds /Mendiyam||1/2 Tsp|
For Powder :
|Chana Dal /Kadala Parup||1 Tsp|
|Dried Red Chilli/Molaga vettal||2 Nos|
|Coriander seeds||1 Tsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 Tsp|
|Urd Dal/Ultam Parup||1/2 Tsp|
- Chop Bitter gourd into small pieces and steam it in cooker with a bit of salt and 1/2 tsp Turmeric for 1 whistle. Turn of the gas and keep it aside.
- Soak Tamarind in 150-175 ml of warm water and keep it aside.Now put it in the blender to get a tangy buy valtrex 1gm online puree. Pass it thro the frying spatula’s sieve to remove any seeds or strings left over from the tamarind.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan and add all the tempering ingredients.Once Mustard Seeds Splutter , add the collected tamarind puree and jaggery.( Remember to break the jaggery into small pieces before adding it. This will speedy up the process.)
- Once all the jaggery is melted and blended into the tamarind puree ,add the cooked bittergourd pieces.
- Add chilli powder , remaining turmeric powder & salt along with 1.5 cups of water.
- Cook the whole mixture in a low flame until we get a jelly like consistency.Stir in regular intervals inorder to avoid catching at the bottom of the pan.Turn of the gas and keep it aside to cool down.
- Saute all the ingredients under powder until light brown and grind them to rava size. Add this powder to the Mixture prepared above and stir it well.
- Transfer this pickle to an airtight container and keep it refrigerated . We can retain it as long as the pickle lasts. I bet you won’t keep it for long 🙂
Use just Sesame Oil. I have used Idhayam’s . Patty ( Granny ) had made a special mention to use this oil.
Urd dal in the powder ingredients leaves a lovely aroma to the pickle.