A bantam chunk of contentment did arise after having a Library card issued in my name… Do u think I m kidding ??? Not at all …I was pepped up all day , letting the world around me know about it…I m not a book reader at all ,but a web reader. My be gossip magazines ,Bollywood , styling - A green signal. Prey in the category who would have droopy head on reading a book… But trust me..I have just realised, Cookbooks , Photography books are just like hot coffee that can pep me up anytime… I m picking gastronomy books ,for the first time ever and take intrinsic pride for it.
If I take you for walk into my past , H would merely run away with the very mention of Tomato Rice.. in fact any one pot meal containing tomato as the primary vegetable…A saga is associated along with it. Hence, for me to cook this rice platter and recreate a positive attitude in him, about it was quite critical.. Anjum Anand’s Tomato Rice just did the right thing ,threw in some twist from the regular tomato rice casserole and the boys wagon did pass on an affirmative response. Its a great dish that be eaten on its own or with some yogurt… A moist and flavour packed south Indian rice. Largely adapted from Anjum’s New Indian INGREDIENTS:
|Sunflower Oil||3-4 Tblspn|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 Tsp|
|Cinnamon Stick||2” long|
|Black Cardamom Pod||2|
|Small Onion||Peeled and sliced|
|Garlic||2 Cloves , peeled and chopped|
|Red Chillies||2 Nos|
|Garam masala||1/4 Tsp|
|Fennel Seeds||1 Tsp powdered|
|Medium Tomatoes||3 Nos chopped|
|Basmati Rice||200 gm.|
|Grated Coconut||3 Tblspn|
- Wash the rice under running tap water ,until clear and soak them until we cook the masala.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the whole spices,chillies and, once the mustard seeds splutter, add the onion and cook over a moderate heat until golden.Stir in the garlic,cook until the raw smell gets eliminated. Add the powdered spices and salt; cook for another half a minute. Stir it up, add the tomatoes and turn the heat up. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened.
- Add the drained rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes along with the masala.Pour in 430 ml water and the coconut, give it a good stir and taste.Adjust the salt at this stage.
- Bring to boil, then cover with a tight lid, turn the heat to its lowest setting and cook for 8 minutes or until the rice is tender. Turn off the heat, remove the cover and let any excess moisture evaporate.
- Serve hot for dinner or pack it up for your lunch box…
KITCHEN NOTES: The recipe called for Green Chillies , I have altered them with red. Its your choice to use whatever you like. Accordingly increase the spice content.