Thepla’s are a favourite snack flatbread delicatessen from the state of Gujrat in India. There are many varieties of Thepla like Spinach Thepla ,Coriander ones,Carrot Thepla,Dudhi thepla and more..
Methi Theplas are flatbreads made with fresh Methi/Fenugreek leaves.Light ,healthy and an appetising snack that is perfect for picnics, day trips or long trips.I remember carrying them to Switzerland too,a decade years before ,and eating them for 3 days. This mildly spiced savoury flatbread is foolproof on its own or some readymade ketchup,pickle and curd.
Roll it and gobble them up !!!
Thepla’s are a great way of including greens and yogurt in the form of a flatbread, all in a roll, straight into their diet to treat your little ones at home or pack their lunches for school. My son V who is a fussy eater enjoyed his first encounter with thepla’s . He did not refuse !! Isnt this an accomplishment for mum’s like us ??
I had received an email from Indus Ladies about Kids Lunch Box Recipes event. What a perfect timing of the event invite.All the recipes sent for the event gets compiled into an e-Recipe Book.I am so damn glad that this recipe of mine will be a part of many little kiddos daily diet.
Yields 24-26 Thepla’s
1 Bunch of Methi : cleaned, washed n chopped finely- Rougly 1 cup
2 Cups of Wheat flour
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Chilli powder or 2 Green chilli crushed ( Optional)
3/4-1 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Ajwain
1/2 tsp Asfoetida/Hing
Salt to taste
3/4 -1 Cup Yogurt
More Oil for cooking the thepla’s
***If you are cooking for kids , omit the Ajwain and reduce the chilli powder
* Cup size referred here is an IKEA sized CUP.
- In a large dry mixing bowl, add the wheat tetracycline 500mg buy online flour also known as Aata and other
dry. Make a large deep dip in the middle of the flour and now add yogurt. If the
yogurt is quite thick, dilute it with 1/4th portion of water.
- Knead the dough for atleast 2 minutes until all the flour and yogurt has
combined. Add the oil on your palm and let it drip over the dough too. Doing
this helps to remove the sticky dough off your hand ,as you knead the dough for
another 5 minutes. Set it aside for at least 30 minutes .
- I have used an Ikea Cup for measurement. This dough yields me 24-26
- Make small equal portions of the dough in the size of a ping pong
ball. I would portion the dough in a size that fits inside my palm. A size
similar to the size of chapatti dough.
- Lightly oil your palm and pinch out small 5-6 equal sized dough balls.
- Taking one dough ball at a time,Flatten these balls with your palm, dust with whole wheat flour and roll out 5-6 inches. If the dough begins to stick, dust
some more flour and roll out.
- Cook the thepla on a tava/skillet, until the dough changes color and looks
dry. Flip it over, using a spatula and you should find it slightly golden brown.Apply few drops of oil and cook it all the way through by gently pressing with the spatula on either side.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the dough. As you make the thepla’s
,store them in a casserole to keep it soft and warm.Serve the hot theplas with aloo jeera,yogurt and pickle.When you are serving your little ones, just roll it in a tissue and give it to them or serve it with some ketchup and yogurt.