Dal Tiranga is a very beautiful dal with a little variation from my Simply Dal. It has got its name from its ingredients – the 3 dals (lentils)
5 A day concept being quite talked about by every one starting from school kids to tele shows. Just thought , why know make a Salad to earn one of the 5 a day sticker .
- Lettuce :Take a handful .Wash it well and chop is finely
- Cucumber: 6″ length. Slice it finely into 1″ each
- Carrots: 6″length.Slice it into thin carrot sticks
- Salad onions : 2 stock : Slice it into thin pieces
- Cherry Tomato: 5-6 Nos. Dice them into 4 pieces each
- Sliced Black olives : 10-15 nos
- Green Pepper : a small piece . Slice it into thin length wise pieces
- Olive Oil : 2-4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Pepper : 3/4tsp
- Dried basil : 1/2 tsp
How to make our delight?
- In a clean washed bowl , add all the vegetables.
- Drizzle a little bit of extra olive oil onto them. Add salt to taste .Also add freshly ground pepper from the mill.
- Sprinkle about half a tsp of dried basil. Using 2 spatulas , toss the vegetables with other ingredients a few times .
- Healthy starter salad is ready to be served.
Servings : 2 people
- Boiled potatoes : 2-3 large size
- Onions : 1 medium size
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander(dhaniya) powder : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin(jeera) powder : 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder : 3/4 tsp ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil :3-4 tsp
- cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder : 1/2 – 1 tsp or crushed green chillies
Ps: if cumin & coriander powder are not available separately , add the dhaniya – jeera powder.
- Chop the potatoes fairly big sized than the regular size.Since the potatoes are already cooked , they tend to mash quickly.
- Chop the onions either finely or length wise.
- In a non stick wok , add 2-3 tsp of oil. Add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry it until it gets transparent. Add a pinch of salt while frying the onions to remove the water content in the onions quickly & helps in quick frying.
- Add the remaining ingredients – turmeric , chilli powder, coriander ,cumin powder & salt . Also add the chopped potatoes. Now stir them until they get mixed well. Let the vegetable be stirred in low flame for about 3-5 min. ( Adding Garam Masala is optional)
- Turn off the flame . Add coriander leaves and garnish the potatoes.
- Jhatpat aloo is ready to be served.
A protien rich lentil soup loaded with vegetables is Molagooshyam. Its ideal for people on diet or looking for a light meal over dinner.
Molagooshyam is a traditional dish from Palakad Cuisine. This dish was introduced to me by my partner in crime at home Mr SK. He knows to cook some of his comfort dishes and this one among them. Amma had only made, probably as far as I took interest only the elaborate version of this dish – Molagutal which requires grinding coconut, cumin seeds and stirring in the lentil vegetable mixture steamed in the cooker. Anyways that is in my coming posts.