If ever you are pressed for time and yet need to make a delicious appetiser then this is it. Make the deliciously easy Tomato and Pesto Tart.
All that you need is some puff pastry sheet and you have got all the liberty to twist it , turn it or even top it to up and make this Tomato and Pesto Tart. Right from Toddlers to Grown ups, they are sure to grab one.
I do buy and stock up a packet of Puff Pastry Sheet in my fridge compartment, just incase I need to make something quickly. Kiddos were back from school and had placed a request to have some different, rather their daily dose favourite of Peanut Butter Sandwich or Nutella Sandwich.
I know things had to be quick , since they are back from their educational hubs after having a long day. After I quickly stirred two glasses of their mango juice and let them chill out in front of the idiot box – just as usual , made a speedy run into my culinary corner. I turned on on Oven and planned up to make this Tomato and Pesto Tart, just while I got the puff pastry sheets sorted. Since we had some left over pesto sauce from my previous evening’s supper, it was just perfect.
Just 25 Minutes all together and the crunchy Tomato and Pesto Tart were out to serve with Ketchup for the tots, whilst they were still lost watching Masha and Bear. My better half returned from work and we enjoyed Tomato and Pesto Tart with tzatziki dip and some pesto sauce.
It was only a day ago, I was flipping pages from the book – My Kind of Food by John Torode. This recipe came handy right in time !! I made some Pita Bread and Tzaki from the book too .. Only some of the Pita’s puffed up, I had no excitement in sharing detailed images of the same. Hopefully I would master the art of rolling it out evenly one day.
I have been exploring my creativity with puff pastry sheets earlier too . Please bear with my pictures in the posts below.. But trust me.. they are all my fav recipes.
Pizza Tart with Puff Pastry sheets
Spicy Cuppy Cakes with Puff pastry sheets
Super easy puff pastry tart topped with Pesto, Tomatoes and Basil. This Tomato and Pesto Tart is a perfect appetiser to impress your guests in a jiffy.
- 250 g Block Puff Pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 1 Tblspn Pesto
- 1 Large Vine Tomato sliced finely
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- Handful of Basil Leaves
- Handful of Coriander Leaves
- Half fistful of Pinenuts + Cashewnuts
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp of Lemon juice
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- In a mixer jar, combine basil leaves, coriander leaves , nuts and garlic and give it a good blitz until you get a smooth mixture. Season with salt, then the lemon juice and oil and give it a good mix.
- Thaw the puff pastry block as per the instructions . On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry until its 2cm thick. Using large circular discs , cut them into 4 circular discs. Leaving a small margin from the edge of the pastry disc, find another cutter that will fit inside and make an indentation, do not cut it .
- With a fork, prick the inner circle but not the outer edge . This will stop the pastry from rising in the middle, but will allow the outer edge of the tart to rise up.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C / gas mark 7. Line a baking paper on the baking sheet.
- Lay the pastry circles on the baking sheet, spread the centre with pesto sauce .Arrange thinly sliced tomatoes in circles. Ideally I should have used plum tomatoes so the arrangement of the tomatoes would look like a cart wheel . Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush the edges of the tart with olive oil.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes until tart edges have risen and turned a little brown. Remove from the oven , allow it to cool for 5 minutes.. , garnish with basil leaves and serve with the remaining Pesto Sauce and some Ketchup.