Churumuri recipe is an instant No Cook healthy Street food prepared by mixing chopped vegetables with puffed rice, tossed with spices and served immediately.
Growing up in Mumbai, one of my favourite snacks to grab is Chat and Mumbai’s vegetable sandwich. Chat is such a broad term, under the subsect Street Food. It can vary from Sev Puri, Pani Puri, Dahi Puri to Ragda Patties typically. But over the years, I would love to have a go on any locally made street food. it could be Masala Puri made by the local vendor in Bangalore or some Golgappa’s / Ram Ladu’s from the street stall in Delhi.
As I vaguely remember, we were famished while travelling back to Mysore and we had pit stopped for a coffee and a quick grab. Amma loved her snack loaded with spicy chilli powder whilst she requested the vendor to tailor it our liking with NO spicy ingredients. Loved every bit of the snack served in the paper cone and they have been in memories for a while. Churumuri was the Snack, very native to Karnataka and every region takes pride in their street food.
Churumuri is a healthy Street food that does not need many fancy ingredients.Most of the ingredients might be readily available in our pantry. It is a mixture of puffed rice, salad vegetables like onion, tomato, grated carrots & raw mango, tossed well, garnished with onions, coriander leaves & drizzled with lemon juice. Adding a good portion of coconut oil is a must to this Churumuri. Do not try to replace it with any strong flavoured oil as all the goodness and authenticity to this Streetfood comes from simple flavours.
Churumuri recipe is an instant healthy Street food prepared by mixing chopped vegetables with puffed rice, tossed with spices and served immediately.
- 3 Cups Puffed Rice
- 2 Tblspn of Vita Coco Coconut Oil at room temperature
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 a Carrot grated
- 1 Small Green Chillies finely chopped – Optional
- 1/2-3/4 Tsp Chilli Powder
- Good Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 3 Tblspn of Roasted Peanuts
- Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the vegetables,green chillies,coconut oil,chilli powder,lemon juice and mix well. Add puffed rice, roasted peanuts and toss well until the puffed rice is coated well with the spice mixture.Season with needed salt. Garnish with coriander leaves, few peanuts,onions and serve them in a bowl or paper cones immediately. Squeeze an extra dose of Lemon Juice if you like the kick.
Serve the Churumuri right away after making time. Leaving it in the bowl after mixing the puffed rice can make them soggy. Chilli Powder can be adjusted to suit your liking. You may omit them too if you are making them for smaller children. Adding Raw Mango would be delicious, but if it is not available, you may leave them out. For a variation, sprinkle a good fat pinch of chat masala.
“This recipe is an entry into the #Swearbyit challenge with Vita Coco. Find more great coconut oil recipes and tips on using coconut oil at www.swearbyit.com”. I was sent a sample of Vita Coco Coconut Oil that has been used in this recipe.