Aam Panna kindles some nostalgic memories of my trip to Bhopal. It was my maiden trip to Bhopal, a decade ago when my parents lived there for briefly less than a year.
Warmth, love and memories still linger very much. It was a closely knit community where my parent’s neighbours were so eager to meet a Uk return daughter. Every house I visited, they treated me royally to a comfort meal and local souvenir. It was such an overwhelming trip with so much to do in a small place. Coming from Bangalore where life is really very fast, it was quite contrary here.
I also remember visiting a fair and also having one of the nicest Dhaba kinds of a meal accompanied with local folk dance/ music. Those were the days!! Even today, given my mum a chance, she would love to relocate to Bhopal 🙂
Yes, when I visited my dad’s colleague’s place in Bhopal who happen to be a native of Gujrat, treated me to a chilled glass of Aam ka Panna. I really couldn’t stop with one .. that I did ask for more. Over the years, my Amma learnt from Aunty and she would make it a regular affair.
A decade later, when I spotted some Raw Mangoes at my local Indian Grocer, I handpicked a few. Totally excited, I had a list of things planned – Mangakari, Mangakuttan and what not. But I ended up making Aam Panna.
AAM KA PANNA RECIPE
- 500 g Raw Mango
- 2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Black Salt
- 2 Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Good Squeeze of Lemon
- Wash the Mangoes, make a few slits and cook them in a pressure cooker for 10 Minutes.
- Make a few slits on the Mango and place them on the trivet in the Instant Pot. Secure the lid and turn the vent to sealing. Pressure Cook HIGH FOR 15 MINUTES, NPR.
HOW TO MAKE AAM PANNA
- Once they cool down, peel the skin and extract the mango pulp. Measure the mango pulp out to 1 Cup. Mango Pulp was slightly sour.
- Add double the amount of sugar to the pulp along with the rest of the ingredients and mix it well. Store the Aam Panna Pulp Concentrate in an airtight bottle in the fridge.
- To Serve, pour 2 Tbsp of the Aam ka Panna concentrate, top with chilled water and stir. Add Ice. Serve immediately.