Air fryer Donuts made from scratch, tastes just like Real Donuts! Its a healthier version of your deep fried donuts – still so delicious, made in the comforts of your home.
Perfect Donuts with a Chocolate Glaze!
INSTANT POT AIR FRYER DONUTS
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air fryer was launched in UK in July and I had the absolutely pleasure of developing some super fun recipes, including this Air fryer Doughnuts!
A friend, once made us donuts made with canned Biscuit dough – which obviously is the easiest way to make donuts. But they tastes so much like biscuits glazed with sugar!
Since I have made Baked Donuts many times, I know how easy they are to make from scratch and its totally worth it!
When I was recipe testing these Airfryer Chocolate Doughnuts, I was really not sure if it will be well received by my kids. Both of them are huge doughnut fans and love the Krispy Creme selection!
But I have to tell you – these were all gone really soon. I cannot tell you how ecstatic I have been!
You can get your kids involved for glazing and decorating the donuts – Oh so fun!
I also like to call them Instant Pot Donuts – as you can proof the dough in the Instant Pot and Air fry in your Duo Crisp Air fryer too!
WHAT MAKES THIS DONUT RECIPE GREAT
- Completely made from scratch
- Guilt free Donuts
- So easy – Knead the dough, proof it , shape the dough and air fry the donuts.
- The flavours are delicious and simply irresistible!
- Perfect Family project – Get your kids involved in the making , so its a great family time together.
- Great for sharing
- Less than 3 g of fat in the recipe.
OVERVIEW OF HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER DOUGHNUTS
Ingredients and Detailed recipe is in the recipe card below. Here is an over view of how to make the doughnuts
Knead to a Soft Dough
Add all the dough ingredients to a stand mixer and knead the dough until it is soft, elastic and not very sticky. About 5 minutes. Alternatively knead with hand to make the dough.
PROOFING THE DOUGH
Proofing Dough can be daunting. Weather can play a huge part in allowing the dough to rise well. So I really prefer to proof it in my Instant Pot as it works well in all conditions.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, use the second method, which is universally known AS ALLOWING TO PROOF IN A WARM PLACE.
HOW TO PROOF DOUGH IN INSTANT POT?
Grease the Inner Pot of the Instant Pot with butter/ oil. Transfer the dough to the greased inner pot pot.
If you are using Duo Crisp Airfryer, secure the lid – Select the Sous Vide Button in your Duo Crisp Model and adjust the temperature and time by pressing +/- to 33C & 30 minutes. Press start.
If you are using a Duo model, select the Yogurt button and adjust the time for 30 minutes. Press Start. Cover with glass lid .
AFTER 30 MINUTES THE DOUGH DOUBLES IN SIZE.
Deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
HOW TO PROOF THE DOUGH WITH GREASED BOWL?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot PRESSURE COOKER or your Instant Pot does not have a Yogurt button OR Sous Vide Button, use this method.
Grease a large bowl and transfer the kneaded dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or damp towel. The dough rises double the size in a warm place for 1 – 1 1/2 hour.
Remove the cling film/ plastic wrap. Deflate the dough by punching down lightly
HOW TO SHAPE THE DONUTS?
Use cookie cutter of 2 sizes to shape the donuts. If you don’t have a cookie cutter or a donut mould – use a wide drinking glass and shot glass to shape the donut.
AIR FRY THE DONUTS
While I don’t prefer to preheat the air fryer for many recipes, this recipe does require you to preheat the air fryer.
Set the Temperature and Time to 180 C & 8 minutes and press Start. At 4 minutes, flip the doughnuts around.
Repeat the process with remaining doughnuts.
EASY DONUT TOPPINGS
Our favourite toppings are Sugar Glazed and Chocolate glazed! However there are a 100’s of other toppings and filling to play around for your donuts.
We love nutella filled donuts and the caramel centre donuts that are sold in Krispy Kreme – Have you tried them?
Sugar Glazed Donuts – My daughter loves to decorate the sugar glazed donuts with lots of sprinkles.
Vanilla Glazed Donuts – Melt butter in the saucepan. Stir in icing sugar, vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Remove the icing from the heat, stir in 1 tablespoon of hot water at a time and mix until you have smooth thin glazing. But not watery!
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts – Now this flavor transports me to the market in Kingston, where the donut seller sells in paper bags. Mix 1 portion of Cinnamon Powder to 1 portion of Sugar. Dust the airfried donuts with cinnamon sugar.
Maple Glaze Donuts – To 1/2 cup Icing Sugar, add 5-6 tablespoon of maple syrup. Stir together to have a smooth icing.
Cream Cheese Glaze – Mix 2 table spoon of cream cheese with 1/2 cup icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder and splash of milk or more as necessary. Combine until smooth.
FAQ & TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST AIR FRYER DONUTS
Measure out the ingredients in a large bowl, so you can speed up the process at the time of making the recipe.Since this recipe is literally dump and knead , you don’t need many bowls.
Do not be tempted to add more flour to the donut dough. You need a soft fluffy pillowy dough. The dough may be a teeny bit sticky. But the extra flour that you are using for dusting is enough for the dough to come together.
Check for the expiry for the Yeast. Yeast plays a core role in our donut recipe, so it is utmost important in having valid date yeast
Use Cookie Cutter or Doughnut Moulds – Cut rounds using Cookie Cutter 3 ½ inch and the smaller one to make a hole. Gather the scraps and re roll them to cut more doughnuts. It’s good to have the doughnuts of the same size, so they cook well at the same time.
SECOND RISE is important – Do not ignore this step for second rising of the dough. This plays an important factor in the texture of the doughnuts.
Do not stack the donuts on top of each other. You want them to cook well and not stick to each other.
Air fryer Temperature varies depending upon the size of your Air fryer and the make. However I found the cooking time the same in my Philips Viva Air fryer and Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air fryer.
CAN DONUTS BE HEALTHY?
Call them doughnuts, donuts – they are all the same.
Though donuts are not great for your waistline, you can be assured that BAKED DONUTS & AIRFRYER DONUTS are healthier than the traditional deep fried ones.
Donuts are more of an indulgence and it is perfectly fine to indulge occasionally.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR HOMEMADE DONUTS
Homemade Donuts tastes BEST, the very same day it is made. Glazed donuts can be enjoyed next day too!
Unglazed donuts can feel a bit dry the next day.
WHICH AIR FRYER SHOULD I BUY?
I HAVE TRIED AND TESTED THESE AIR FRYERS
Philips Viva Air fryer – I have been using this Airfryer for a while. It’s great for Air frying.
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air fryer – I really love this Airfryer. It is 8 qt and it does so many things more than Air frying alone. It is a pressure cooker and air fryer, can bake, broil, roast, slow cook and dehydrate !
Cosori Air fryer – I have had them for a while before having the Philips Air fryer and does the job well too!
YOU MAY LOVE TO TRY THESE EASY AIR FRYER RECIPES
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
INSTANT POT AIR FRYER DOUGHNUTS RECIPE BELOW
- 2 ½ Cup Plain Flour + ¼ Cup
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1½ Tsp Instant Yeast
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- ⅔ Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
For Chocolate Glaze
- 1 ½ Cup Icing Sugar
- 5 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Milk
Make a Soft Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients 2 ½ Cup Plain flour, Sugar, Salt. Stir to combine. Add the Yeast and mix.
- In a separate jug, combine all the wet ingredients – egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing them gently with a spatula until just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 5-6 minutes to make soft dough. Add a little more flour at a time while kneading until you achieve a soft dough.
- If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour from the reserved ¼ cup of the flour.
How to Proof the Dough
- Grease a large bowl and transfer the kneaded dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or damp towel. Allow the it rise for 1 hour at room temperature or until it doubles the size.Remove the cling film/ plastic wrap. Deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
How to Proof the Dough in Instant Pot
- Oil the inner pot of the instant pot and transfer this prepared dough. Secure the lid.
- Select the Sous Vide Button in your Duo Crisp Model and adjust the temperature and time by pressing +/- to 33C & 30 minutes. Press start.
- If you are using a Duo model, select the Yogurt button and adjust the time for 30 minutes. Press Start. Cover with glass lid .
- After 30 minutes, the dough doubles in size.
Shape the Donuts
- Deflate the dough by punching down lightly. Transfer the dough to the parchment paper dusted with flour.
- Roll it to a thickness of ¼ inch.
- Cut rounds using Cookie Cutter 3 ½ inch and the smaller one to make a hole. Gather the scraps and re roll them to cut more doughnuts.
- Transfer the doughnuts to a parchment paper and cover them with kitchen towel. Allow them to rise for at least 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
Air fry the Doughnuts
- Place the inner stainless steel pot into the Instant Pot cooker base.
- Insert the air fryer basket with basket base and gently brush with oil.
- Place the Air fryer Lid on the cooker base. Select the AIRFRY programme. Adjust the +/- keys to adjust the Time and Temperature to 180 C and 3 minutes to preheat. Press Start.
- After 3 minutes, Gently brush the doughnuts with melted butter (optional ) and place 4 Doughnuts into the air fryer basket.
- Set the Temperature and Time to 180 C & 8 minutes and press Start. At 4 minutes, flip the doughnuts around.
- Repeat the process with remaining doughnuts.
- In a medium bowl, sift the Icing Sugar & Cocoa Powder. Add vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp Milk. Mix well until well combined. If you find the glaze too thick, add a little more milk and mix again.
Glaze the Doughnuts
- Arrange the wire rack on a baking tin lined with parchment paper. Dip the doughnut into a glaze and transfer to wire rack. Repeat the process for the remaining doughnuts.