Want a recipe for flavourful and easy appetiser? Try air fryer smashed potatoes. These crispy, vegan smashed potatoes are seasoned with garlic and spices – perfect for parties, holidays or just a tasty snack.
About these easy crispy Garlic Smashed potatoes recipe
Have you tried Garlic Smashed Potatoes made in the air fryer? If not, you should!
This recipe uses 7 ingredients and only the air fryer, making it super simple. You only need the air fryer to make the entire dish. The potatoes are air-fried, then tossed with garlic, oil, and spices, crushed, and air-fried again until crispy. This creates a unique texture that’s both crispy and tender.
Kids will love smashing the potatoes, making it a fun way to get them involved in cooking.
Serve the smashed potatoes with a cooling dip like cucumber raita or sour cream and chive dip. These Garlic Smashed Potatoes are sure to be a crowd-pleaser, making them a must-try recipe for any occasion.
Why should you try air fryer smashed potatoes?
- Healthier than traditional fried potatoes as they are made in an air fryer with minimal oil.
- Easy to customise by adding your favourite herbs and spices mix.
- Budget-friendly and require just a few basic ingredients.
- The process of smashing the potatoes and then air frying creates a unique texture that is both crispy and tender.
- Can be served hot or cold, making them a versatile option for any occasion.
- A great way to use up leftover roast mini potatoes from previous meals.
- Cheaper to use the air fryer compared to the oven.
- Suitable for Vegans, Vegetarians and Gluten free diet.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Potatoes: For this recipe, you can use mini potatoes or small sized potatoes. Baby red or yellow potatoes work well, but you can use any type of potatoes you prefer.
Oil: Use olive oil, sunflower oil, or any neutral-flavoured oil that can handle high heat.
Garlic: Two cloves of fresh garlic minced or 1 tsp of garlic powder can be added for flavor. Garlic adds a nice depth of flavour to the potatoes.
Chilli powder: In this recipe, the Kashmiri chilli powder is used, but you can substitute it for smoked paprika or mild paprika if you prefer. The chilli powder adds a bit of heat and a lovely red colour to the potatoes.
Salt & Pepper: Add salt and pepper to taste to enhance the flavour of the potatoes.
To serve: Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle some fresh coriander on top of the smashed potatoes before serving. These ingredients will add some extra freshness and zest to the dish.
Optional ingredients: If you prefer, you can also add turmeric powder, garam masala, or curry powder to the smashed potatoes for an extra kick of flavor. These optional ingredients will give the potatoes a lovely aromatic flavor that complements the other ingredients in the dish.
How to make Smashed potatoes in air fryer?: Step by Step
Crispy garlic smashed potatoes are easy to make. You will need 7 ingredients and 25 minutes in total. In this recipe I have used Instant Pot Vortex Versazone, which has got 8.5l capacity.
To make air fryer smashed potatoes, place mini potatoes in the air fryer basket and roast at 200 C for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
In a mixing bowl, prepare a seasoning mix with oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and chilli powder. Add the roasted potatoes to the bowl and toss them together.
Use a fork or a small bowl to smash or crush the potatoes, keeping them in one piece.
Brush the remaining seasoning mixture into the crevices of the smashed potatoes.
Transfer the smashed potatoes into the air fryer basket and air fry at 200C for 10 – 12 minutes or until crispy.
Once ready, transfer the potatoes to a serving platter, drizzle lemon juice, and sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves.
Pair with air fryer roasted vegetables.
Along with fresh and crisp chopped green salad.
Make ahead Smashed potatoes for Christmas / Thanksgiving
After roasting and smashing the potatoes, cover them with cling film and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. When it’s time to serve, brush them with the seasoning mixture and air fry for 10-12 minutes until crispy and golden brown. This simple trick will save you time and stress on the day of your holiday meal, allowing you to spend more time with loved ones and less time in the kitchen. Plus, the smashed potatoes will still taste delicious and flavourful even after being prepared ahead of time!
Storing leftover Garlic Smashed potatoes in the fridge
Although it’s unlikely you’ll have any leftovers of these delicious smashed potatoes, if you do, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply place them back in the air fryer and air fry at 175C for 3-4 minutes or until crispy.
Make your Smashed Potatoes even more exciting by trying out some variations.
- Experiment with our Masala smashed potatoes
- Go Cheesy with our Rosemary and feta cheese smashed potatoes.
- Add a different twist by using Cajun spice, Chipotle seasoning or Taco seasoning.
Tips and Tricks
- For best results, use mini or medium-sized potatoes for this recipe. If using larger potatoes, quarter them for even cooking.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket, as it can cause the potatoes to steam instead of crisp up.
- To enhance the flavour of your smashed potatoes, first toss the potatoes in the seasoning mixture and then brush any remaining seasoning into the crevices.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the model and size of your air fryer, so keep an eye on your potatoes and adjust the time as needed.
- If you want to make the smashed potatoes ahead of time, you can roast and smash them, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before air frying them.
Do I have to boil the potatoes to make air fryer smashed potatoes?
No, you don’t have to boil the potatoes. Instead, simply place the mini potatoes in the air fryer and roast at 200C for 15 minutes until fork tender.
Can you freeze smashed potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze smashed potatoes for later use. To freeze, place the cooled smashed potatoes on a baking sheet and put it in the freezer until they are firm. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or a zip-lock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When you are ready to use them, simply air fry them or bake them in the oven until they are heated through and crispy. However, note that the texture of the potatoes may change slightly after freezing and reheating.
Easy Garlic Smashed potatoes recipe in air fryer below
- Air fryer
- 450 g mini potatoes 1 lb
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt or as needed
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves
- Place mini potatoes in the air fryer basket and roast at 200 C for 15 minutes or until fork tender.450 g mini potatoes
- In a mixing bowl, prepare a seasoning mix with oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Add the roasted potatoes to the bowl and toss them together.2 tbsp olive oil, ½- 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper
- Use a fork or a small bowl to smash or crush the potatoes, keeping them in one piece.450 g mini potatoes
- Brush the remaining seasoning mixture into the crevices of the smashed potatoes.
- Transfer the smashed potatoes into the air fryer basket and air fry at 200C for 10 – 12 minutes or until crispy.450 g mini potatoes
- Once ready, transfer the potatoes to a serving platter, drizzle lemon juice, and sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves.½ Lemon Juice, 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves