Arisi Paruppu Payasam is a traditional Naivedhyam Payasam made on festive occasions. Its a creamy Rice Dal Payasam ( Kheer) that can be made easily with my full proof recipe. This traditional SouthIndian recipe is first on card for year 2017 and lets begin this Super Exciting Year on a Sweet Note.
My MIL handed down this recipe to me and I still look up to my handwritten notes to get it bang one.
Being the First of January 2017 today, I cooked up an elaborate TamBrahm meal Molagootal, Tomato Pachadi , Rasam and Arisi Paruppu Payasam for lunch today.
Remembering my resolution that I had taken up, I thought it cannot get any better than shooting this Yummilicious Palakad Cuisine Payasam. Though it is hard to portray elegantly, it isn’t impossible to showcase the best of the payasam.
And I did it !! So glad to capture the essence of this festive dessert that can be prepared for Tamil New Year or even as an offering to God on any occasion.
A New Year is just like a Blank Canvas with Paint Just besides you. Its in your hands to give this Blanks Canvas a new dimension with your Imagination !!! Wishing you guys a Very Happy New Year 2017!!
YOU MAY ALSO LOVE THESE RECIPES FROM PALAKKAD CUISINE
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 Cup Bengal Gram | CHanna Dal
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 21/2 Cup Water
- 11/2 Cup Jaggery + 1/4 Cup of Water
- 11/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 Tblspn Ghee
- 10 Fried Cashewnuts broken into halves
- Fry Moong Dal and Bengal Gram Separately until they get fragrant and slightly brown. Allow it to cool.
- Wash them twice under running water and add it to the pressure cooker pan.
- Wash Rice twice under running tap water and add it to the same pan.
- To 1 Cup of Rice + Dal Mix add 21/2 Cups of Water. Pressure Cook until done. I would have given approximately 5 whistles.
- Allow the pressure to release by itself.
- In a separate deep pan that can accommodate all the Payasam, add 1/4 Cup of Hot water followed by the addition of Jaggery. Allow the Jaggery Mixture to melt nicely and boil until a light frothy layer appears.
- To this Jaggery Mixture, add the Cooked Rice + Dal Mixture ( Arisi Paruppu). Once they blend well, add 11/2 Cup of Whole Milk.
- Allow the Whole Payasam Mixture to boil. This process will take about 5 minutes. Turn off the flame and add cardamom powder.
- In a small pan, melt ghee and add the broken cashew nuts. Fry them in low flat until light brown color is achieved. Turn off the flame and add all the ghee song with cashew nuts to the prepared Arisi Parup Paysam.
- After the Naivedyam,
- serve this traditional Arisi Paruppu Payasam along with main meal or just on its own.