Almond /Badam Kheer is first among sweet dishes ,I learnt after marriage. Its really very simple and it is really yummy whether served hot or chilled. Dedicating this dish to my dear husband who is always in love with Sweets:).Quite an ideal sweet for beginners to try.
- 2 fist full of Almonds : Roughly 30-40 nos
- Cashewnut : 2 nos
- Cardamon : 1 nos crushed
- Safron ( Spanish Kesar) : 6-7 strings
- Milk : 3/4 litre
- Sugar : 3 tsp
- Soak almonds in warm water for about 1 hour. Peel almonds and grind them to paste along with the cashewnuts using milk.
- Soak 2-3 strands of safron in 1/4 cup of warm milk.
- Bring milk to boil in a thick bottomed pan/non stick pan .Now add the ground almond paste to the boiled milk along with sugar & crushed cardamon and cook in low flame stirring continously for 10-12 minutes until the milk condenses .Adding safron soaked in warm milk will enhance the colour & flavour of the kheer..
- Drop the remaining strands of safron into the kheer just before serving.
- Transfer the kheer to a dessert bowl & serve it hot or chilled.
According to Ayurveda(Indian origin), an effective system of health care, Badam gives :
- nutrition to brain and nervous system
- induces longevity
- boosts immunity
- improve complexion
- prevents cancer
- reduces cholesterol