I also love my easy peasy cucumber raita! So refreshing..
Learn how to make this delicious Indian yogurt condiment with boondi(fried chickpea flour balls) with step by step method after the recipe card.
BOONDI RAITHA RECIPE
Making traditional Indian Raita is really so quick and easy. It is basically made with yogurt, cucumber or alternate vegetable/ fruit, spice powders and herbs. With just 10 minutes at hand , you can whip up most of the raita.
Basic Thumb Rule for preparing traditional Indian Raita is simple. For every 2 cup of yogurt, add 1 portion of vegetables. So that’s basically 2:1 ratio for Yogurt to Vegetables. This proportion gives us a nice consistency of yogurt and the added ingredients.
However when you are making this Boondi raita, the proportion is 1: 1/3 . For every One Cup of Yogurt, add 1/3 cup of boondi. The reason is boondi tends to absorb the yogurt as it soaks and expands. So you really don’t want them to be too thick and clumpy.
Now, it’s time to add in some simple spices to flavour our yogurt. I like to keep it simple with roasted Cumin Powder or Ground Cumin and Chilli Powder most of the times.
You may also choose to add Chaat Masala if you like (easily available in Grocery stores across UK). But this is completely optional. Cumin Powder adds the delicious cooling punch to the yogurt whereas Chilli Powder & other spices adds the teeny heat to the raita.
Did you know – Cumin Seeds are great for your digestion & adds cooling to your body ? Every once in a while, I eat a teaspoon of cumin seeds with a glass of water after the meal. I don’t think a raitha recipe will do any justice with ground cumin!
Season with salt & pepper to your flavour and add lots of finely chopped cilantro leaves or mint leaves (optional).
Together they balance and make the BEST BOONDI RAITA! Serve Chilled!
For spicier Raita, add finely minced green chilli or minced serrano peppers. ( this is optional. )
What you’ll need
I really cannot enjoy Indian food without a deliciously chilled raitha.
To make this easy classy raita with boondi, you will need basic ingredients
- Yogurt or Curd – Plain Yogurt or Greek Yogurt – Both works really well. If you are using Greek Yogurt, just dilute it with a little water.
- Crispy fried Boondi ( Chickpea flour fried balls ) – This can be made at home or buy it at your grocers. These boondi’s are extremely handy when you want to make a raita in a hurry without vegetables.
- Spices – Ground Cumin & Chilli Powder. For variations you can add Chaat masala or Dried Mint Powder or Ground Ginger too!
- Salt & Pepper – Season to your liking!
- Coriander leaves or Cilantro
TWO WAYS TO MAKE THIS EASY BOONDI RAITA – Pick your favourite method!
FIRST METHOD – Add the boondi to hot water and allow it to soak for 5 minute. Fish the boondi out with a spatula and then squeeze the boondi gently between your palm. This step is usually done to eliminate any oil smell from the boondi.
Repeat the rest of the steps as per the recipe.
SECOND METHOD – Add the boondi to the yogurt along with spices. Chill & Serve.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Post a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #sandhyaskitchen. I would love to see your pictures of this easy emergency no yeast bread.
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt chilled
- ⅓ Cup Boondi
- ½ Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ¼ – ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ Tsp Chaat Masala Powder optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves chopped
- Place Yogurt in a bowl and whisk it until smooth. If the yogurt is thick in consistency, add 1/4 Cup of water and whisk again to adjust the consistency.
- Add spice powders, salt and pepper.
- Soak the Boondi in hot water for at least 5 minutes. Squeeze out the boondi gently in between your palm. Add this Boondi to the yogurt and stir to combine.
- Taste & adjust the seasoning .Garnish with coriander leaves and serve boondi raita chilled.
How to make Boondi Raita step by step
To make quick and easy Boondi Raita recipe,
- Place Yogurt in a bowl and whisk until smooth. If you are using Greek yogurt, dilute it with a little water.
- Add ground cumin, chilli powder, salt & pepper.
- Soak the Crispy fried boondi in hot water for 5 minutes. They will expand in size and turn soft. Squeeze all the extra water between your palm. Now add boondi to the spiced yogurt.
- Stir until completely mixed.
- Taste and add more seasoning. Garnish with more boondi, coriander leaves. Serve this soft melting boondi raita chilled.