Bread Upma is a delicious South Indian breakfast recipe, usually made with leftover bread, onion, tomato, and spices. Cooks in just about 15 minutes!
Enjoy this easy bread upma with a cup of piping hot Masala Chai for breakfast.
WHY MAKE THIS RECIPE
Because Its FAST, EASY & so DELICIOUS!
This Bread Upma recipe is made with frugal ingredients, easily available in your Indian kitchen!
Takes only 15 minutes to cook this South Indian Tiffin recipe.
You can make this Upma with any bread of your choice like White Bread, Brown Bread, Ladi Pav, Tiger Bread, Batons, etc
Easily customizable too! Love potatoes, add them to the recipe. Love nuts like Cashewnuts and Peanuts, add them too. This bread upma recipe is adaptable. So feel free to add as many opt-ins as you like.
Perfect for Breakfast or even as a snack!
Although Upma is usually made with Semolina( Rava ), this quick cheat version of Upma is made with Bread.
Dietary – This recipe is Vegan if you use Vegan Butter!
ABOUT THIS BREAD UPMA RECIPE
This recipe for Bread Upma was introduced to me, by my husband 15 years ago. It was one of the first dishes he actually treated me on a Sunday morning! I make Veg Upma, which is usually made with Semolina Rava, vegetables, and a little seasoning. However, when he mentioned Bread Upma, I was so curious.
His version of this Easy Peasy Upma with bread is delicious. He prefers tearing the bread slices into chunks rather than cubing them neatly. Quite rustic looking but totally delicious.
Then toast the bread in a pan with butter or oil until well roasted. Set it aside.
Heat oil and add cumin and mustard seeds. When the seasoning pops, add the curry leaves, onion, green chilli and ginger. Saute for a few minutes until the raw onion smell is gone.
Then add the boiled potatoes and saute for another 2 -3 minutes. Now add turmeric, chilli powder and salt and saute until well combined.
Now its time to add the roasted bread chunks and saute until all the spices coat the bread well. Tadaa a delicious homemade bread upma ready.
However, over the years, I have made so many changes to the Original Bread Upma version. I do like to add a tomato after sauteeing the onions. Toast the bread in a toaster or air fryer until crispy and then spread some butter to it. This step actually speeds up the savory upma with bread recipe.
Adding butter to your bread makes it extra delicious. But this is optional.
Then finally garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy HOT.
Remember to enjoy this Bread Upma right after making it, otherwise they can be a bit mushy in texture.
Serving Suggestions for Bread Upma
As this recipe is seasoned well, serve Bread Upma as a stand-alone dish. However, This Bread Upma is delicious with Tomato Ketchup and a cup of Indian Chai just like the one from Dishoom.
If you love this recipe, you will also love this
South Indian style Bread Upma recipe below
- 8 Slices of Bread White or Brown
- 1 Medium sized onion diced or sliced fine
- 1 Potatoes, boiled and cubed Optional
- 1 Green Chilli diced
- ½ Tsp Turmeric
- ½ – 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- Salt as Needed
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 3 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
Toast your bread
- Toast the bread in a toaster and then gently spread butter on it. Alternatively you can toast the bread on a pan/ skillet with 1 tsp of butter or oil. Repeat this process with all the slices.
- Cut the bread into cubes or tear them into chunks.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When it crackles add curry leaves, onion and fry until translucent for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ginger, green chilli, potatoes and saute for 2 minute.
- Add the spice powders, salt and tomato and cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the bread and saute until the bread is coated with spices and tomato onion mixture.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and garnish with Coriander leaves.
- Serve Bread Upma hot on its own or with Tomato Ketchup.