L ove authentic british food.. for its blandness yet the best flavours are out…
Have been wanting to try my hands on mash potatoes ..until I came across this simple yet lovely recipe.
Its a improvised and seasoned version of mashed potatoes.. .I thoroughly enjoyed making it… Making mash potatoes requires no special art.. but thorough practice..
Above all , we paired it with Vetha koyumbu ( A south indian delicacy) for dinner.. and matched well…
|Green Cabbage||1/2 Cup|
|Red onion||1 Nos medium|
|Salt & Pepper||For seasoning|
|Olive Oil||4 Tblspn|
|All Season Potatoes||3 large Nos|
|Unsalted Butter||3 Tblspn|
|Salt & Pepper||For Seasoning|
- To prepare mash potato , wash peel and chop the potatoes into big chunks. Cook them in a large sauce pan of boiling salted water for 15-20 min. Have a check by piercing a fork … Once done , drain well and mash the potato with a masher until smooth. No chunks should come while enjoying this.
- Season with salt and pepper , add butter & milk and stir well..
- Shred the cabbage finely and onions into thin fine strips.
- In 2 tsp olive oil , fry the onions with a pinch of salt until soft. Add the cabbage to the pan and stir fry for 2-3 min until softened. Add the desired seasoning. Add the prepared mash potato & give it a good mix.
- Transfer this mix to a bowl for few minutes until we prepare the pan for this delicacy…
- Add 1 tbspn of oil and allow it spread all over the pan. Once the pan is heated well , press the prepared mixture on to the pan until the pan is well coated.Allow it to cook in medium -high heat for 4-5 min so that the base turns out to be crispy. Invert the potato cake onto a plate .
- Drop in the remaining oil to the pan, reheat and slip the cake back to the pan , with the uncooked side down.
- Continue the cooknig for another 4-5 minutes until the base is crispy again.
- Remove from flame , turn onto a hot plate , cut into wedges for serving. Serve immediately.
Adapted from The Great British Cooking
Increase the butter to make it more richer .
Try adding mixed herbs seasoning.. & garlic for variations