This Red Lentil Dahl cooks in just about 22 minutes in your instant pot. Detailed instructions included for the stovetop method too.
ABOUT THIS INDIAN RED LENTIL DHAL RECIPE
We cook with various legumes and lentils at least 3-4 times a week, so we have at least 10 variations for making Dal. Sometimes, we cook with just one lentil like Red Lentils or Moong Dal, and sometimes in combination.
When making Dal fry, I prefer to roast the lentil before pressure cooking. These little tweaks adds a great twist to our family favorites.
SOME OF SANDHYA’S KITCHEN FAVOURITE LEGUMES & LENTILS RECIPES
WATCH A QUICK VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE RED LENTIL DAHL WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
WHAT ARE RED LENTILS?
Red lentils are salmon pink in colour, when raw. As they cook, they change in colour, fading into a golden yellow hue curry or soup. These lentils are perfect to cook with, when you are in a hurry to get the meal to the table. Due to the nature of the processing, they cook quickly unlike their other lentil cousins like Tuvar Dal, Moong Dal, Green Lentils, Brown Lentils, and many more.
No pre-soaking needed too, but just remember to wash them under running tap water until clear. Washing the red lentils removes the possible debris / dirt and a little bit of starch.
Butternut Squash Red Lentil Dal Ingredients
You will need a handful of pantry ingredients + a few fresh ingredients for this easy Indian Red lentil dahl.
Butternut Squash – I am not done with butternut squash yet.. I want to have them in my butternut squash soup, risotto, salad, and now Butternut Squash Dahl
Red Lentils – Specially because it cooks the quickest!
Turmeric is a must in most of my curries & dahls
Garam masala powder – For a milder swap use mild curry powder
Red Chilli Powder – Optional. Use it, if you like it spicier
Salt to taste
Why make Red Lentil Dahl with Butternut squash in Instant Pot?
Simply because, it is
Vegan & Gluten Free
Budget friendly ingredients
Cooks and ready on the table within 30 minutes
No baby sitting needed
Making Instant Pot Butternut Squash Red Lentil Dal locks the flavours while pressure cooking.
Above all, its a mess free cooking and lesser dishes comparatively
I HAVE GOT A WHOLE SECTION SORTED FOR YOU WITH INSTANT POT RECIPES – Don’t forget to check out for more inspirations. Yes, you can make many more things other than soup too in an instant pot
HOW TO MAKE INDIAN RED LENTIL DAHL IN THE INSTANT POT
Cooking Time in the Instant Pot takes 12 minutes, but it also takes about 12 minutes for pressure build up. So its entirely up to you, whether you consider 12 minutes as cooking time or 24 minutes.
To begin with, Rinse the red lentils thoroughly under running tap water, until clear and set it aside.
Prepare the vegetables – butternut squash, onion and tomato.
**Personal Tip -Add onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies to a food processor and chop finely. Using a food processor makes it a breeze for me.
Now the fun begins.
Press sauté button on Instant Pot. Add Oil followed by cumin. Allow it to splutter.
Add onions, ginger, green chilli and garlic mixture and sauté for 3-4 minutes until slightly translucent.
Add tomatoes + 1/2 cup of water, spice powders and sauté. Cook for another 4 minutes until slightly combined. Cancel the sauté mode on the Instant Pot.
Add red lentils, butternut squash and water. Cover the lid, Set to high pressure for 12 minutes. IP kicks offs automatically to Keep Warm function. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Open the IP, season with salt, squeeze lemon juice.
Press sauté button and allow the dal to boil and combine well.
Taste and add more seasoning to suit your palate.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice or naan bread.
RED LENTIL DAL ON STOVETOP
I don’t have a pressure cooker, so how do I make it? This is something, I am often asked for all pressure cooker recipes.
Wash the Red lentils and cook in sufficient water until soft.
In a fry Pan, add oil. Once its hot, add cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds splutter, add onion + ginger + garlic + green chillies along with a pinch of salt and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
Add chopped tomatoes, spice powders and stir well. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until well combined.
Add the cooked red lentils & salt along with the remaining stock and allow the dal to boil.
Squeeze some lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Red Lentil Dal with basmati rice or naan bread.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH RED LENTIL DAL RECIPE BELOW
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Red Lentil Dal
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 small Yellow Onion or 50g finely chopped
- 1 ” ginger finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green chilli minced **
- 1 large tomato or 100g diced
- 2 Cups of Butternut Squash or 400g cubed
- 1/2 Cup Red Lentil or 100g
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
INSTANT POT BUTTERNUT SQUASH RED LENTIL DAL
- Wash the red lentils under running tap water a couple of times, until clean.
- Press sauté on Instant Pot. Heat Oil followed by cumin. Allow it to splutter.
- Add onions, ginger, green chilli and garlic mixture and sauté for 3-4 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Add tomatoes + 1/2 cup of water, spice powders and sauté. Cook for another 4 minutes until slightly combined. Cancel the sauté mode on the Instant Pot.
- Add red lentils, butternut squash and 1 1/2 Cup of water. Cover the lid, Press Pressure Cook, Set to high pressure for 12 minutes. IP kicks offs automatically to Keep Warm function. Allow the pressure to release naturally. This can take more than 15 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot, season with salt, squeeze lemon juice.
- Press sauté button and allow the dal to boil and combine well.
- Taste and add more seasoning to suit your palate.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice or naan bread.
STOVE TOP BUTTERNUT SQUASH DAL
- Place Red Lentils, Butternut Squash in a Deep Pot with salt, 2 1/2 Cups of water and bring it to a boil. Reduce Heat, simmer and cover and cook for 10 minutes. Check if the lentils are cooked by gently squeezing between your fingers. Once the red lentil is soft, remove them from heat.
- Heat Oil in a fry pan, add cumin seeds. Once they sizzle, add onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies mix. Fry them until translucent. Add the diced tomatoes, & spice powders and cook in medium flame for about 10 minutes or until the masala combines well.
- Add the cooked red lentil dal along with any remaining stock, a little at a time, stirring into the onion tomato masala mixture. Add hot water as needed and stir. Cook for anther 2-3 minutes until desired consistency is achieved.
- Taste and add salt as needed. Squeeze some lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.