This street food belongs to Mumbai and is very typically made . Ragda Patties has been one among my favourite street food.. and I cannot accept much alterations to the version served by the shop keeper where I have hogged for 10 years in my life. This post is very dear to me .. and I m bringing you the flavours straight from heart.
Flavors in this chat got to be very clear right from the patties(Potato cakes) to ragda ( dried white peas curry) to the green chutney & red chutney. And from the garnishing.. Concoction together, make a perfect Ragda Pattices.
Chat’s are something I can have when offered on anyday anytime.. Checkout my space for other chats like Dahi Puri , Sev Puri , Kala Chana Chat. Aloo Tikki recipe is mentioned below and also two other variation recipes .
|Chilli Powder||1 .5 Tsp.|
You can increase to suit the spice
|Corn flour||3-4 Tblspn|
|Oil||For shallow frying|
- Pressure cook the potatoes . Once boiled well , peel the skin and mash them when hot. This will help us to get a smooth texture to the patties( cake) . Add in salt & chilli powder ,corn flour and give it a good mix.
- If the potato variety seems a bit gooey , add some potato mash powder . This will help in binding the potatoes well.
- Prepare a large non stick tava . Make round tikki’s by rolling the potato dough,place them immediately onto the hot tava. Drizzle few drops of oil around the tikki’s . Once they slightly turn brown on one side, turn them around . Drain them onto the kitchen towel to absorb all the oil.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the tikki’s. I did them in a batch of four. I have also tried deep frying .
- If you are looking for a variation in preparing your aloo tikki’s you can check the other two versions in my blog .
Ingredients for Ragda /Dried White Peas curry:
|Dried White Peas||500gm|
|Curry Leaves||A spring|
|Cinnamon Powder||1/2 tsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 tsp.|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 tsp.|
|Lemon Wedge||2 small pieces|
- Soak the peas over night ,at least for 8 hours in sufficient water with turmeric powder and lemon wedges. Pressure cook until they are well cooked ( or slightly mushy). They shouldn’t remain hard. .
- Heat oil in a pan , drop in mustard seeds , cumin seeds . Once they splutter , add the finely chopped onions and curry leaves. Fry until they slightly discolour .Don’t forget to add a pinch of salt at this stage .This will quicken the process.
- Add the cooked ragda along with any stock remaining in it to the fried onions. Else add sufficient hot water and give them a good stir. Sprinkle cinnamon powder and desired salt .
- When the ragda begins to thicken , add more water if required and let it be in slightly flowy consistency. Turn off the gas and garnish with chopped green chillies.
- The ragda needs to be piping hot while preparing the platter. The “ ssss “ … “ ss “ sound is often heard because of the heat and a combination of chutney’s with heat..
- For variations ,people often use ginger –garlic or just ginger , some potatoes to it . Its entirely one’s choice.
- But on using G-G in ragda , they leave a strong flavour to it. Why potatoes again ? When Patties are Potato cakes.
Preparing the Ragda Patties Platter:
|Pattice ( Potato Cakes)||2 Nos|
|Ragda||2-3 Big Ladle|
|Imli Kajur Chutney||2 –3 Tsp|
|Green Chutney||2-3 Tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 pinch|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 pinch|
|Puri’s( Pani Puri) or Sev||2-3 Nos broken or drizzle some sev|
|Coriander leaves||for garnishing|
Lay 2 patties on to a plate. Pour over hot ragda covering the patties .Drizzle alternate of sweet and green chutney. Place 2 crushed puri’s on the top , sprinkle the powders and finally some chopped coriander. Serve hot right away.