Warm up with a bowl of our simple Curried Butternut Squash Soup. This easy-to-make soup is perfect for a cosy night in or a nutritious lunch option. Enjoy it with a side of warm dinner rolls for a complete meal.
You can prepare this delicious soup in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
About this Vegan Butternut Squash soup recipe
This Butternut Squash Soup is a must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and easy meal. Made with just eight ingredients and a blend of seasonings and herbs, this soup is quick and simple to prepare.
Simply add all the ingredients to the pot, wait for it to cook, and then blend for a creamy, nutty, sweet, and spicy soup. The addition of pumpkin seeds and thyme makes for a perfect garnish, but feel free to top with your favourite ingredients.
This recipe can be made in the Instant Pot for an even faster cooking time, making it a convenient option for busy nights.
Why you’ll love this soup?
- One-pot meal
- Easy to make (8 ingredients, simple steps)
- Make it in Instant Pot or Stove top
- Creamy and delicious (blended butternut squash, blend of spices/herbs)
- Perfectly spiced with subtle warmth
- Vegan and plant-based
- Great for batch cooking (make big batch, freeze for later)
Why make Butternut Squash soup in the Instant Pot?
Transform the way you make butternut squash soup with this Instant Pot recipe! This dump-and-start soup is as simple as it gets – just add all the ingredients to the pressure cooker insert, pressure cook for 10 minutes, and blend until smooth. The result is a delicious, creamy soup that’s bursting with flavour. If you’re not a vegan, you can add some cream for an extra richness.
This butternut squash apple soup is highly customisable, allowing you to make it exactly how you like it. And the best part? Making soup in the Instant Pot locks in the flavours better than a traditional pot, keeping your soup warm until you’re ready to enjoy it. No more reheating in the microwave – this recipe is a game changer!
This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is a complete meal on its own, but you can elevate it further by serving it with some delicious accompaniments.
- Serve with homemade dinner rolls, no knead bread, white soda bread, garlic knots or air fryer grilled cheese for the perfect dipping partner.
- With air fryer croutons for added crunch
- Pair with a green salad for a refreshing combo
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the top for added richness and finish with a sprinkle of your favourite seeds for added crunch and nuttiness.
Storing Leftover Butternut squash soup
Fridge: Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To store, simply let the soup cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy it again
Freezer:This soup is also freezer friendly, making it perfect for meal prep. To freeze, let the soup cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months
Reheat:To reheat, simply place the soup in a saucepan or instant pot on medium heat and stir occasionally until it’s heated through.Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave on high in 30-second increments until it’s heated through.
3 Ways to Thicken Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Use cornflour or rice flour: mix 1 tsp with soup to make a slurry and add back to soup.
- Add more squash and less stock: best and easiest method.
- Cauliflower: roast or microwave and puree, add to soup to thicken.
Is Butternut Squash Soup Good for you?
Yes! Packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants, this butternut soup is a nutritious and delicious choice.
What toppings can I add to my curried butternut squash soup?
Consider adding croutons, roasted nuts such as almonds, cashews, or walnuts, toasted pumpkin seeds, diced avocado, shredded cheese, cream, yogurt, sour cream, chives, parsley, fresh coriander or a drizzle of olive oil to your butternut squash soup for a crunchy, savory, or creamy touch.
Simple Curried squash soup recipe below
Curried Butternut Squash Soup recipe (Instant Pot / Stove top)Print Pin Rate
Ingredients for Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium Butternut Squash (About 5 cups) peeled, deseeded and cubed
- ¾ cup Onions diced
- ½ cup Celery diced
- ¾ cup Carrots
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ½ – 2 Red Chilli Optional
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 3 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 Cup Apple Juice
- 1 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- Pumpkin Seeds
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Place the first 12 ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then release the pressure manually after 5 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary stalk.
- Add coconut milk and blend until smooth using a stick blender.
- Season to taste and serve with a crusty bread and garnished with thyme and pumpkin seeds.
Stove Top Instructions:
- Add the 12 ingredients to a large pot with enough vegetable broth to cover the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the rosemary stalk.
- Add coconut milk and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve with homemade dinner rolls and garnished as desired.
- The addition of chilli gives the heat to the soup. But if you do not like it spicy, do not add it. Chilli balances the sweetness coming from butternut squash.
- If you do not have apple juice, add granny smith apples and increase the stock by 1 cup.