Dal Tiranga is a very beautiful dal with a little variation from my Simply Dal. It has got its name from its ingredients – the 3 dals (lentils)
- Masoor Dal (Red Lentils) : 1/2 cup
- Moong Dal : 1/2 cup
- Chana Dal(Gram Dal) : 1/4 cup
- Tomato: 1 Nos .Dice it finely
- Coriander leaves
- Lime juice (optional) : 1 tsp
- Green chillies : 1-3 nos .depending upon hotness
- Garam Masala(optional) : 1/2 tsp
For tadka :
- Cinamon powder : 1/2 tsp
- ghee : 2 tsp ( if ghee is not available , use any cooking oil)
- jeera ( cumin seeds) : 1 tsp
- mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Onion : 1 small nos. Chop them length wise.
- Red chilli powder :1/2 tsp
How do we go about Dal Tiranga??
- Wash the dals nicely under running tap water twice. Once washed well , add twice the amount of water to the dal , turmeric powder , diced tomatoes , green chillies and a pinch of salt. Cook the dal in the pressure cooker. Once the dal is cooked , keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil or ghee in a wok , now add cumin seeds & mustard seeds .Once they splutter , add the chopped onions. fry them for about 2 min. let them not turn brown. ( Adding ginger garlic paste is optional). Add 1/2 tsp cinamon powder to get the rich flavour.
- Now add the cooked dal with enought water.(Adding garam masala is optional) Allow it to boil for a 1 min . Add Salt to taste .Keep the dal on low flame for another 2 min.
- In another fry pan ,add 2 tablespoons of Ghee and add some red chilli powder and fry for a minute. Add this on top of the dal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves .
- Serve your dal with hot phulkas/rotis or rice for dinner.