Make this Quick and Easy Takeaway style Indian Chana Masala in just under 30 minutes. Serve this Vegan Chickpea Curry with homemade naan bread, basmati rice, poppadoms & quick pickled onions for a delicious midweek meal.
Now this Indian Chickpea curry is so good, my kids would happily polish the plate off with Indian cumin rice & a serving of Mango Lassi without any complaints! This Vegan curry recipe is FAST, EASY & PERFECT!
30 Minutes Indian Chana Masala Recipe
What is your idea of comfort food? Well, mine is certainly something that can be made in a jiffy, still nothing devoid of flavors just like this super quick Chickpea Curry or even this Creamy Tortellini Soup.
Cooking delicious Indian curries really doesn’t have to be laborious. There is always a way to get around it. Using the right combination of spices and in the right proportion is all you need to make delicious Indian Curry.
I have made Punjabi Chole curry to serve with Chapathi or Naan bread at least 500 times so far, that I have found tricks to make them quicker and customise the flavors.
WHY MAKE THIS INDIAN CHICKPEA CURRY?
Its SPEEDY, EASY & DELICIOUS, every single time!
Great for potluck dinner parties or even midweek meals.
DIETARY – Its Vegan!
Easily adaptable in flavors. If you like add some cauliflower to make Cauliflower & Chickpea Curry. Add Aubergine to make Chickpea Aubergine curry.
You only need 30 minutes!
Make it in Instant Pot or on the Stove.
In this post, you will learn
What is Chana Masala Curry
Which Chickpeas/ Garbanzo Beans to choose
Spices to use in this easy curry
What to eat with this Curry?
How to make the Perfect Chole Masala in 30 minutes ?
WHAT IS CHANA MASALA?
Authentic Chana Masala is a popular North Indian curry, made with Chickpeas, Onions, Tomatoes, Ginger, Chillies, Indian Spices and herbs.
Chana Curry Masala is fondly known by many names such as Chole, CHannay, Chickpeas curry or chholay and it has originated from the Indian subcontinent!! The primary Ingredient for this curry is CHICKPEAS / GARBANZO BEANS.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHANA MASALA?
This is one question I often get asked and I tell people this super easy Takeaway style Garbanzo Beans Curry can be made elaborately and even quickly. It all depends on the time, I have got in hand.
In this post, I am going to show you how quickly and easily you can make this Vegetarian curry.
WHICH CHICKPEAS [ Garbanzo Beans ] TO USE?
Well, It totally depends on how much time you have got in hand. Just like a cool Friday Night, when you want to make some really quick, I recommend using Canned Chickpeas. But just incase you have planned ahead on cooking the curry, soak the chickpeas overnight.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
PRIMARY INGREDIENT is Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans / Chana or Choley.
Onion, Tomato, Ginger and Garlic and spices forms the base of the Indian curry sauce !!
So what are the spices used?
Usually, there is a huge list of spices that goes in the making like Peppercorn, Cumin Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Cardamom, Pomegranate Powder, Amchur Powder etc.
If you are pressed for time, I reckon you source the chana masala powder from an Indian grocery store or just use my 2 minutes Instant Garam Masala Powder Recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS VEGAN INDIAN CHICKPEA CURRY
A lot of people do enjoy the Chole Bhature combo with a glass of Coke.
l also Enjoy this Choley Masala as an appetizer by drizzling some over homemade air fryer Samosa and chaat chutney‘s for variation. This curry is so versatile that it can be enjoyed in every other way you can imagine.
This Vegan Chana Curry is so good for health that you can make it any day anytime..
IF YOU LOVE THIS CURRY, YOU WILL ALSO LOVE
HAVE YOU MADE MY INDIAN CHICKPEA CURRY?
30 Minutes Indian Chana Masala ( Quick & Easy Recipe ) below
- 2 Can Chickpeas/ Garbanzo Beans drained
- 2 Medium onion, finely chopped red, yellow or white – either of them will work
- 1 Can diced tomatoes (400g)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Green Chilli slit
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Ginger – Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 11/2 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a deep pan , add Cumin Seeds. Once they splutter add Ginger- Garlic Paste, Slit green chillies & onions. Sauté them for a few minutes until raw smell is eliminated. Adding a pinch of salt to onions evaporates the water content quickly.
- Now add a can of diced tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and sauté them until it mixes well with the onion mixture and the oil begins to separate. Blend this mixture well in a blender after cooling down if you like the texture smooth.
- But if you don’t mind it a bit chunky, continue cooking. Add coriander powder, garam masala, salt, chickpeas and 11/2 cup of water.
- Stir well and allow this mixture to cook for at least 10 minutes until desired consistency is achieved. Check for seasoning and spices and add more if needed.
- Add Lemon Juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve this easy Chana Masala with Cumin Rice or Easy naan bread.
Instant Pot Chana Masala
- Press saute on Instant Pot and add oil. Once it gets hot, add cumin seeds. Allow it splutter.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste, green chillies & onions. Sauté them for 3-4 minutes until raw smell is eliminated. Adding a pinch of salt to onions evaporates the water content quickly.
- Add diced tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and sauté them until tomatoes become mushy say 4-5 minutes. If you feel the MIXTURE is sticking to the bottom of the pot, splash some water to DEGLAZE.
- Add chickpeas, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and 2 Cup of water. Press CANCEL.
- Secure the lid, turn the vent to sealing. PRESS PRESSURE COOK and set the time to 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- If the gravy is thick, add 1/2 Cup hot water. Press SAUTE and allow this mixture to cook for 2 minutes. ( OPTIONAL )
- Check for seasoning and spices and add more if needed. Add Lemon Juice and garnish with coriander leaves.