Easy No Mayo Coleslaw is a Healthy No Cook side dish that comes together in just 10 minutes. Its naturally Vegan, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free & Paleo friendly too!
Made with cabbage, carrot, spring onion & coriander leaves, my quick Slaw recipe is perfect for Barbecue parties, picnics, potluck parties, or even on Jacket Potatoes ( just like my daughter loves).
Learn how to make this simply Healthy coleslaw recipe with step by step instructions & video tutorial below.
Our Vegan Coleslaw is fresh and light and a lot tastier than any other dripping mayonnaise version! My son in particular hates OLD FASHIONED COLESLAW because typically coleslaw is always creamy and swimming in bad cheap mayonnaise. I have tried making creamy Coleslaw with Vegan Mayonnaise, but he still hates it.
Good news! This colorful Healthy coleslaw without mayo is Family approved! Its Dairy-free, Egg Free, Vegan & Paleo friendly – anyone and everyone can enjoy it!
For Low Carb Keto-friendly Coleslaw, leave out the maple syrup from the recipe. As a multipurpose salad, the uses of this coleslaw are endless.
This recipe can be easily halved, doubled, or tripled – depending upon how many people you are feeding!
WHAT CAN YOU HAVE WITH THIS VEGAN (HEALTHY) COLESLAW?
- Stuff it in Wraps along with Vegan Falafel
- Stuff it in Burgers or serve it on the side
- Buddha Bowl
- Baked Potato / Jacket Potato
Ingredients you will need to make this Vegan Coleslaw (No Mayo!) Recipe –
Cole-slaw is one of the easiest side dishes to make and you only need a handful of veggies & fairy cheap ingredients for it!
Vegetables you will need
Cabbage – You can use only white or only purple cabbage but I personally like a mix of both for a splash of color and texture.
Carrot – Pick large carrots, as this will make shredding easier.
Onion – I love to use Spring Onions ( Scallions ) as they are milder. You can use Red Onions or White Onions too, but they are slightly stronger in flavor.
Coriander leaves or Cilantro – Adding herbs to a salad is our favorite thing. It elevates the flavors by multifold. Not fond of coriander leaves in your Coleslaw – simply leave it out.
Jalapeno – Adds a hint of heat. (optional) I like to use it occasionally.
For the Easy No Mayo Dressing you will need
If you are wondering what can I substitute for Mayo in Coleslaw, try this No Mayo Dressing. You will need the following.
Vinegar – Both Apple Cider Vinegar & White Vine Vinegar works well for this dressing. If you don’t have either, add extra lemon juice.
Good Quality Olive Oil
Maple Syrup – I like how maple syrup compliments the flavors in the dressing. You can reduce the quantity or leave it out. Don’t have maple syrup, use Sugar!
Garlic – Garlic Powder is mild and dissolves well in the dressing. If you like minced garlic, go for it!
Salt & Pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN COLESLAW step by step
- Prepare the Vegetables Shred the cabbage and carrots with your mandoline slicer or use your food processor – It’s a breeze! Takes less than 3 minutes and I am not kidding. The other way – I like to slice them with a mandoline slicer and then score thin juliennes with my knife.
Don’t have either of the gadgets, cut the cabbage with a steady knife. First cut the cabbage in half and then in quarters. Thinly slice them! I am not great with my knife skills and usually, the veggies tend to have uneven thickness.
Dice the spring onions and reserve some of the green parts for garnishes. Finely chop the coriander leaves.
Add the prepared vegetables to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the Coleslaw Dressing without Mayo –Add all the ingredients to a mason jar or jam jar. Seal tight and shake to combine. Pour Dressing -Pour this prepared French Vinaigrette Dressing on the veggies.
- Toss – Toss to combine well. Cover & refrigerate until ready to use.
- Garnish &Serve -Scatter some toasted seeds on the top of this easy no mayo slaw for a little extra crunch and spring onions before serving.
- Store – It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3 days in an airtight container. Serve right away or prep in advance!
WHY DO YOU NEED A MANDOLINE SLICER?
I cannot stress enough, but Mandolin with an e, in the end, is one of the most useful kitchen gadgets I cannot do without. It is useful in cutting down the prep time for dishes that requires slicing or shredding, uniformly and quickly.
Some of the recipes where I have used my mandolin slicer are
We also like to use it for gratin and fries too!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you Shred Carrots for Coleslaw?
First, peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler. Then Shred the carrots with a box grater or food processor. I love attaching the grater attachment to the food processor to shred the carrots. Prep time is just 2 minutes and you will just love it.
Is Mayo Dairy?
A standard commercial brand mayo available in the market is Dairy-free but not Vegan. It is made with spices, egg yolks, lemon juice, or vinegar. However, off late, there are plenty of brands in the market that sell Vegan Mayo.
What can I substitute for Mayo in Coleslaw?
Good News! You can use our No Mayo dressing which is made with Apple Cider Vinegar, Maple Syrup, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Salt & pepper.
YOU MAY ALSO LOVE TO TRY THESE NEXT FOR YOUR BBQ
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Post a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #sandhyaskitchen. I would love to see your pictures of this paleo-friendly coleslaw recipe.
EASY NO MAYO COLESLAW RECIPE CARD
- 1/2 Head White Cabbage ,shredded (454g / 1 lb)
- 1/2 Head Purple Cabbage ,shredded (454g /1 lb)
- 2 Cup Carrot ,shredded
- 4 Spring Onion ,finely sliced ( reserve some greens for garnish )
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves ,chopped
No Mayo Dressing
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Mixed seeds optional
- Prep the vegetables and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients for the No Mayo Dressing in a mason jar. Place the lid and shake until combined. You can also whisk it through until thoroughly combined. Pour the prepared dressing over the vegetables.
- Toss and combine together and refrigerate until use.
- Scatter spring onions on the top and serve. If you fancy add toasted seeds for a little extra crunch.