Yes…. You heard it right.. An eggless butterless Chocolate Indulgence cake.. and guess wot ?? It didn’t taste any different and the texture and the softness stayed right throughout 🙂 This was one of my happy baking…time and I will truly cherish…. Using an egg is not an issue at all. The thought that if I bake a cake at any point of time in India, the elderly crowd wud just stay away coz its got an egg… So didn’t want to drive them away from such delectable desserts .
Well.. since this recipe has my first layering & frosting effort… I did read a couple of blogs , web pages to know how its really done and tried to understand the different kinds…Felt, it was difficult .. only until I started the process. I did not realize when it was all done…
Madhuram’s Eggless Baking is the lovely blog that I came across every time in my search .Totally appreciate her for the choice of ingredients and the substitutions. For the Original Cake Recipe click here . I have done a couple of variations – Used Self Raising flour instead of All Purpose flour ,Low fat stirred yogurt instead of Silken Tofu. Used Low-fat Baking Vegetable Oil instead of Canola Oil & eliminated the use of salt. I tried a Ganache frosting and not the one in the recipe..
Eggless Butterless Chocolate Indulgence Layer Cake
For the Cake:
|Self Raising Flour||:2 Cups|
|Baking Powder||: 1 Tsp|
|Baking Soda||: 2 Tsp|
|Unsweetened cocopowder||: 3/4th Cup|
|Granulated White Sugar||: 1.5 Cups|
|Low fat Vegetable Oil for lighter baking||: 1 Cups|
|Hot Coffee Decoration||: 1 Cup|
|Milk||: 1 Cup|
|Vanila Extract||: 1 Tsp|
|Low fat stirred yogurt||: 1 Cup|
Ganache Frosting :
|Chopped Dark Chocolate||: 80gm|
|Chopped Milk Chocolate||: 100gm|
|Creme fraiche or ( Heavy Cream)||: 300ml|
|Vanilla essence||: 2 Tsp|
|Royal Icing Sugar ( Silver Spoon Brand)||: 200gm|
- Hot Coffee Decoration: Mix 1 tsp of Dogwe Egbert Instant coffee with 1cup of Boiling Water .
- Yogurt Mix : Mix every 3 table spoon of stirred yogurt with 1 table spoon of water.
Cake Preparation:Method for any cake preparation is the same.Preheat the oven . Mix all the dry ingredients & wet ingredients separately. Prepare a well and incorporate the wet ingredients slowly into the dry and blend well.We follow just the same process here too.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C . In a large mixing bowl , mix Self Raising Flour , Baking Powder , Baking Soda & Granulated Sugar . Swift them well with a spatula and make a well kind in the center.
- Add the butter at room temperature , Hot coffee mix , Milk , Vanilla essence & stirred yogurt one by one with regular mixing after each incorporation.
- Using a hand blender , whisk the mix for about 1-2 minutes until all the lumps are gradually gone.
- Grease the Cake tin with a lil butter and dust a bit of coco powder all around. Pour the cake mix into the tin up to 3/4th and place it in the oven. The remaining mix could be poured into a muffins mold.
- Bake for nearly 1h -1.10h until a wooden skewer inserted comes out neat. (My cake wasn’t done in 30 minutes like most recipes said.) Let it rest on the wire rack for a while( about 30 minutes) until the cake cools.This is a highly impatient period when we cant wait to see out results of our efforts.
For Frosting :
- Heat the sauce pan filled up to 3/4 full of water in a medium flame and place another vessel over it.
- Add 2 tsp of butter and once it begins to melt , add the broken chocolate pieces in batches and keep stiring until they all melt. Incorporate Creme fraiche and a couple of drops of vanilla essence and keep stiring for 30 seconds. Include the icing sugar and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Keep this indulgent frosting aside for 30 minutes (room temperature) until it cools a bit and starts holding itself.
- Carefully turn the cake upside down from the baking tin and place it in a large plate. Since I didn’t use 2 separate cake tins , I had to carefully slice it horizontally with a large knife and keep it aside in another large plate. This gives us 2 layers. We will need additional flat spatula’s to move and lift the cake coz there is a tendency to break.This procedure requires FRAGILE handling.
- Now over one of the cake layers , spread the frosting with a knife and allow it to flow in the sides.
- Gently and carefully place the second layer over the first . Pour the frosting all over the cake and gently spread over the top and sides.
- I didn’t have any decoration… Wasnt prepared with it. SO used Dark Chocolate chips to do the decoration bit.. and my Indulgence chocolate cake was ready to be served.
- Allow the cake to cool and settle and serve after an hour or the next day.