I think all Friday’s need to be Treat Like with French Crepes loaded with cream, berries and icing sugar !! And why not?? We are just about enjoy the little Weekend pleasures – doing things we like without the routine !! That Friday feeling is always awesome… Don’t you guys agree with me?
I am going to be honest today. While I was making Crepes for our Snack today, I was debating should I make eggless crepes or with egg. For many using Egg is introducing a lot of protein in food. But for many, it is associated with a lot of allergies and for few, eggs are against their ethics and so forth.
Growing up as Child until we got married, Egg was never encouraged in my mum’s kitchen. Enjoying boiled egg at friend’s place was more like a treat and huge thing for me as things like would happen very occasionally. Those were the days!!
But here in London, I do ensure kids eat Eggs as a routine, a couple of times a week, as their food habits are distinctive than ours and they do need ample intake of Protein. Being Vegetarians, sources and choices of protein are not enormous.
Having said that, using eggs in my children’s diet is something I look forward too . But there are certain occasions when we don’t encourage eggs in our meals. As a preparatory for such occasions and when adults in the family visit us, I have been experimenting eggless solutions to these treats. Must tell you its a 100 % fool proof recipe that requires no resting at all.
Just make sure to grease the non stick pan well and wipe it clean with tissue paper before you scoop your first ladle. Don’t get disheartened if your first crepe doesn’t turn out as you had expected.
Since we are used to making Lentil Crepes at home regularly, making thin French Crepes was easy for me. Just needs a little practice on swirling the pan with the batter and flipping with a spatula.
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Plain Flour or Plain Flour
- 1½ Cup Semi Skimmed Milk
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- 1 Tbsp Sugar ( caster sugar or icing sugar )
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Greasing the Pan
- Mint Sprigs
- Icing sugar
- In a large mixing bowl , mix together Plain flour, Sugar and Salt.
- In another bowl, mix melted Butter and milk .
- Now gradually add the Wet Ingredients to the dry, with constant whisking in between, making sure there is no large lump formation. Small lumps are acceptable.There is no resting required for this recipe.
- Heat the non-stick pan on low heat, dab oil with a tissue paper just enough for greasing. Scoop a small ladleful of the batter onto the pan. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- When the bubbles begin to appear at approximately 1 minute and the bottom turns brown, flip the pancake with a spatula and cook for another 1 minute or so.
- I could make 12 Pancakes with this measurement.
- Transfer them into a warm plate, stacking the eggless crepes between a greaseproof paper.
- To Serve, spread a layer of Whipped Cream inside the Eggless Crepes, scatter berries, dust icing sugar or a drizzle of honey and Enjoy.