Easy Vegan Falafel recipe made with a handful of ingredients!
Serve in your salad bowl or stuff in your pita bread – either-ways they are so delicious. Instructions included for Deep Fry & Air fry options.
EASY VEGAN FALAFEL RECIPE
We also love falafel in our Salad bowls too!!
My son hates hummus, so he usually loves a drizzle of tomato ketchup in his wraps.
Even if I can’t make it, my family makes sure to add store-bought classic falafels to the weekly menu shopping. But let me tell you – nothing can be as delicious as homemade falafels, isn’t it!
I learned to make this vegan Falafels recipe from my Sudanese friend who makes the best falafel ever. She got me a box of falafels ( also known as Tamiya in Sudan ) one day after the school run and they were simply melting. Crispy on the outside, soft, and melting on the inside. Since then, I have been asking her for this recipe!
Soon, I will be working on Step by Step method of imagery to justify these irresistible middle eastern balls.
So here’s the update – I sent these pictures to my FALAFEL EXPERT friend and she said – these falafels look better than hers !!
I had never tasted a falafel so light, crispy and delicious. She is so particular about her falafel recipe, that she send me notes on do’s and don’ts on how to make it.
THIS EASY FALAFEL RECIPE
- is VEGAN / VEGETARIAN
- makes a great weeknight dinner
- is so quick and easy.
- is ready in less than 30 minutes apart from the overnight soaking time!
- can be made in Air fryer, Oven Baked and Deep Fried too!
TIPS TO MAKE DELICIOUS VEGAN FALAFELS
- Do not use Canned Chickpeas
- Soak Dried Chickpeas for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Process the Chickpeas until smooth and not coarse.
- Add Baking Powder just before frying.
- Dill Leaves and Parsley add great flavors to our quick & easy falafels. If you don’t have dill leaves, simply leave it out.
- Using Cilantro ( Coriander leaves ) is optional in your falafel. I do love it!
- I have tried making Falafels with cooked Chickpeas and found them a little soft. But they are surely delicious too! Learn all about cooking your chickpeas in my ultimate guide.
CAN I FREEZE THE FALAFELS?
Once you make a smooth paste out of chickpeas and remaining ingredients, store them in freezer safe bag and freeze it. Thaw them before use and add the baking powder. Shape the balls and Air fry the falafel ball or Deep fry it or oven bake the falafel.
YOU MAY ALSO LOVE TO TRY THESE DINNER RECIPES
HAVE YOU MADE MY EASY VEGAN FALAFEL RECIPE
BEST FALAFEL EVER RECIPE BELOW
- Rinse the chickpeas twice in running water and soak them in nearly twice the amount of water for atleast 8 hours or over night. They would nearly double in size. Drain the water and rinse again.
- Add them in batches to a food processor or a grinder jar along with chopped onions, garlic, cumin and coriander powder. Grind them and scrape the sides until you get a smooth paste. Add the chopped parsley and coriander leaves and blend again. Adjust salt as needed.
- Once you have achieved the desired texture for the falafel mixture, transfer them to the bowl. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Add the baking powder to the falafel mixture and prepare for deep frying.
- Deep Frying – Heat Oil in medium heat. While the Oil is getting heated, make small falafel balls and set them side. While frying anything, as a precaution, I would test with one to check if the mixture does not separate out and the oil is well heated. Once this works, I would add 4-5 falafel balls together in the next batch. Fry for approximately 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Drain them onto a kitchen towel.
- Air Frying Falafel – Preheat the Airfryer to 180C. Arrange the shaped falafel balls in the airfryer basket and brush them with oil. Air fry for 16- 18 minutes, checking in between until its done.
- Repeat the process for the remaining falafel balls.