Gajar ka Halwa Recipe with Khoya – Carrot Halwa
Make this delicious Indian Carrot Pudding ahead of celebrations. Serve Gajar Halwa warm or cold – its entirely how you would love it. I also enjoy this delicious warm Gajar ka Halwa with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Ever since I have known, realised, Gajar Ka Halwa recipe tastes extra special with red carrots. Many years have passed by since we have moved from India, but ritually this dessert is made at least once in this season. I really don’t know why particularly winter’y months only though?
I believe Red Carrots are seasonal in Winter and hence we end up treating our family to Gajar Halwa in winter alone. But why? Carrot Halwa tastes totally yummilicious with Orange Carrots too and they are available all year around.
This Indian carrot pudding is a distant international cousin of Carrot Cardamom Cake.. So it definitely got to be yummilicious.
MANY WAYS TO MAKE GAJAR KA HALWA RECIPE
If you would like to make Traditional Carrot Halwa, its better not to rush. Allow the milk and carrots to simmer for over an hour plus until they reduce and add a sweetener.
For a quicker method for making Carrot Halwa, Condensed milk is your best friend.
For Vegan Option, you can certainly make Gajar Halwa with Nut milk.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS TO COOK THE PERFECT CARROT HALWA?
Grated Carrots is the key ingredient to this recipe. It can be Red or Orange Carrots.You can grate it by hand using the coarse side of the grater. Alternatively grate them using the coarse blade in a food processor. I grated 1.25kg carrots in the food processor in literally 5 minutes. So making Carrot Halwa will be super easy and less tedious.
Ground Cardamom or Cardamom Powder. You can pound fresh cardamom to powder and use it too.
Khoya – Also known as Milk Solids. It is readily availabe in Indian stores. You can use unsalted ricotta cheese as a substitute but it does require cooking it a bit.
Whole Milk – Don’t go skinny with this indulgent dessert. I have not tried substituting with dairy free milk either.
Nuts as desired – I love adding almonds, pistachio
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR GAJAR KA HALWA DESSERT – CARROT HALWA
Serve Carrot Halwa Warm or Cold, its entirely how you enjoy it. Serve them on its own or with a large dollop of vanilla ice cream.
This dessert can be made ahead of celebration days.
Shelf life – 1 week in refrigerator
Making Gajar ka Halwa Recipe with Khoya is another really easy method without compromising on any flavours. Find the recipe for making this delicious Gajar Halwa recipe at home below.
F YOU ENJOY MAKING OF ANY OF MY RECIPES, PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO TAG #SANDHYASKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM OR TWITTER!
KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF SANDHYA’S KITCHEN BY SUBSCRIBING BELOW.
GAJAR KA HALWA RECIPE WITH KHOYA
- 1.25 kg Red Carrots or Orange Carrots grated
- 300 g Khoya crumbled
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 Cup Ghee
- 1 Tsp cardamom powder
- Nuts as desired for garnish
- Wash and peel the carrots. Grate them fine in a food processor or hand grate them.
- Heat a deep bottom pan and add 1/4 Cup Ghee. Add the grated carrots and fry them for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 1 Cup of milk and allow the carrots to cook well in medium flame for another 10 minutes until all the milk nearly dries up.
- Crumble the khoya and add them to the carrots along with sugar. Cook in medium flame stirring in between for another 20 minutes. Khoya and sugar will begin to leave the water.
- Add Cardamom Powder and stir well.
- Cook until gajar ka halwa thickens and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee and roast the nuts.. I have used Flaked Almonds. Garnish the Gajar ka Halwa with roasted almonds. Serve Hot or Cold.. just as you like.