Swap your roasted potatoes for these crispy Air fryer Hasselback potatoes. Sliced into thin fan-like shape, these mini potatoes are air fried to a perfect crispy texture on the edges, while being tender on the inside. This vegan side dish is perfect for Sunday Roast, Christmas, or any other holiday feast.
Follow my step-by-step instructions to learn how to make this dish in your air fryer.
About my easy Air fryer Hasselback Potatoes recipe
These crispy Hasselback potatoes are super easy to make. Despite their fancy appearance, making them doesn’t require any special skills. You will get them right from the very first attempt, I can assure.
All you need to make this recipe are 5 simple ingredients and an air fryer.
Why you’ll love this recipe?
Quick & Easy: This recipe is a breeze to make and will take about 20 minutes air frying time.
Budget friendly: Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it’s also budget-friendly. You need just 5 ingredients, which includes potatoes, salt, pepper, oil and garlic.
Adaptable: This recipe is easily adaptable, and you can adjust the ingredients to suit your personal taste preferences. Add more spices or change up to add some herbs.
Healthy: Air fried hasselback potatoes uses only a fraction of oil compared to deep fried ones.
Versatile: Enjoy Crispy Hasselback potatoes on its own as a main course or as a delightful side dish that pairs well with any main meal.
Dietary needs: Suitable for Vegans, Vegetarians, and those who are on Gluten-free diet.
Ingredients for Air fryer Hasselback potatoes: Here’s what you’ll need
To make these delicious Swedish Air fryer Hasselback potatoes, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients:
Potatoes – For this recipe, mini bite-sized potatoes work best. You can use any type of potato, but I recommend using ones that are firm and hold their shape well when cooked.
Oil – Any neutral-flavoured oil works well, such as olive oil, sunflower oil, or avocado oil. These oils will not overpower the flavour of the potatoes and will help them cook evenly.
Garlic – You can use fresh minced garlic or garlic powder to add a burst of flavour to the potatoes.
Sat & Pepper to taste – You can adjust the amount of salt and pepper according to your preference.
Cutting Potatoes for Hasselback potatoes
For mini potatoes, place one potato at a time on a wooden spoon, cut across at intervals, until they are fanned out, but still connected at the bottom. The spoon will stop you from cutting the potatoes all the way through.
For large potatoes, place chopsticks or the handle of a wooden spoon on either side of the potato. Then, cut the potato in thin intervals accordion-style, making sure not to cut it all the way through so that the slices are still connected at the base.
The key to achieving the perfect Hasselback cut is to use chopsticks or a wooden spoon.
How to make Air fryer Hasselback Potatoes step by step?
In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Brush the hasselback cut potatoes with this seasoning mixture.
Preheat the air fryer at 180C / 360F for 3 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to air fryer basket and air fry for 20 minutes. Turn the potatoes at half time, so that they cook evenly.
For additional flavours, season again with oil/butter, herbs, garlic, salt & pepper just before serving.
I have made air fryer hasselback potatoes in Philips Viva Airfryer Instant Pot Duo Crisp Airfryer and Instant Pot vortex 6 in 1 and they came out crispy and delicious.
Check the images below – Hasselback Potatoes in Instant Pot Airfryer and in Philips Viva.
How to make Hasselback potatoes in oven?
Place seasoned potatoes in a single layer, cut side up, onto the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Appetizer – Serve hasselback potatoes as a tasty appetizer. You can top them with sour cream chives dip or shredded cheese for an extra kick of flavour.
- Side dish – Hasselback potatoes make a perfect side dish to accompany Paneer curry, Aubergine bhaji, Naan bread and Raita.
- Buddha Bowls – Add Hasselback potatoes to your Buddha bowl for a nutritious and filling meal. They pair well with spiralised vegetables, air fryer chickpeas, brown rice and kachumber salad.
- Brunch – Serve hasselback potatoes alongside your favourite breakfast items like air fryer hard boiled eggs, baked beans, roasted mushrooms and sausage for a hearty brunch.
Storing Leftover Hasselback Potatoes:
In the Fridge: Store in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days.
In the Freezer: Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Thawing: Thaw overnight in the fridge or in the microwave using the defrost setting.
Reheating: Reheat in the air fryer at 180C /350F for 5-7 minutes
I have flavoured my Hasselback potatoes with garlic, salt, and pepper. But there are plenty of seasoning ideas that you can sneak into the sliced and fanned-out potatoes.
- Fill the potatoes with herbs – oregano or parsley or rosemary, garlic
- Rosemary and feta cheese with potatoes are a classic combo, just like Smashed Potatoes.
- Season with Indian-inspired spices like ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, and a squeeze of lemon juice for a curry twist. Just like Bombay Potatoes.
Make ahead Hasselback potatoes for Christmas / Thanksgiving
To make Hassel back potatoes ahead of time for holidays, create the hasselback cut on the potatoes, then cover them with cling film and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. When ready to serve, brush them with the seasoning mixture and air fry for 15-18 minutes until crispy and golden brown. This time-saving trick will ensure that your holiday meal is stress-free, allowing you to spend more quality time with your loved ones. Also, the air fried Hasselback potatoes will remain delicious and flavourful even after being prepared ahead of time.
Tips to make the Air fryer Hasselback potatoes
- Choose evenly sized potatoes for consistent cooking.
- Use a wooden spoon or chopsticks to prevent cutting through the potato while making the slices.
- Experiment with different seasoning combinations to find your favourite flavour profile.
- Brush the potatoes with oil or butter before seasoning to help the seasoning adhere better.
How did Hasselback Potatoes get its name?
Hasselback potatoes were named after the restaurant where they were first created, the Hasselbacken hotel in Stockholm, Sweden. The dish is made by slicing the potatoes thinly and fanning them out, giving them a unique and elegant appearance.
What type of potatoes should I use for Hasselback potatoes?
You can use any type of potato for Hasselback potatoes, but it’s best to use potatoes that are uniform in size so they cook evenly.
Do I need to peel the potatoes?
It’s up to you.I prefer to leave the skins on for added texture and nutrients, but if you prefer you can peel them.
Can I make Hasselback potatoes ahead of time?
Yes, Hasselback potatoes can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer until ready to cook.
Easy Vegan air fryer recipes
- 750 g Baby Potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 clove minced garlic or 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the baby potatoes. Place one potato at a time on a wooden spoon to cut across intervals, making sure not to cut through.750 g Baby Potatoes
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp of olive oil, 3 cloves of minced garlic, salt, and pepper.Brush the seasoning mixture over the potatoes, making sure to get it in between the slices.2 tbsp olive oil, 3 clove minced garlic, Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer at 180C / 360F for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes in the air fryer basket and air fry for 18-20 minutes.Halfway through cooking time, turn the potatoes around once to ensure even cooking.750 g Baby Potatoes
- Optional step : For extra flavour, season the potatoes with a little more oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic before serving.