Make this Indian Cauliflower rice in just 15 minutes! It’s light and a delicious side dish to accompany all kinds of curries. Not only spiced cauli rice is a good substitute for rice, but it is also suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Being a Vegetarian, I am always on the lookout to include extra portions of vegetables and fruits in our diet. Thankfully our family including kids, love anything that has cauliflower in it. So Dinner times are super easy whenever I make this mildly spiced Indian Cauliflower rice, Cauliflower fried rice, Aloo Gobi, Cauliflower Steak, crispy Air fryer cauliflower or even Cauliflower Chickpea Curry.
I try to include cauliflower at least once a week in our midweek meals, especially because it’s healthy, quick, and easy to cook. Also when there are cauliflower lovers home, meal times do get exciting! My kids call this Tumeric cauliflower rice, as it’s yellow in color.
How to turn Cauliflower into rice?
Turning Cauliflower into rice is actually super easy. If you have never made Cauliflower rice before, let me guide you to making Cauli rice. Rice the Cauliflower with these three easy techniques.
- Food Processor – Cut the hard stalk and place the cauliflower florets in a food processor. Use the S BLADE for this! Pulse the food processor a couple of times, until you have rice-like texture – cauliflower couscous. Takes 1 minute.
- Box grater – Grate the Cauliflower using the coarse side of your grater ( the side you would use for grating the cheese). Takes about 5 minutes.
- By Hand – Roughly chop the cauliflower until you have fine-textured cauliflower rice. Takes about 10 minutes. You can control how fine or coarse you would like.
Why make this recipe?
- This Indian spiced Cauliflower rice recipe is Quick, Easy, Healthy, and DELICIOUS! Ready in just 15 minutes.
- Dietary Needs – Low in Carb, Low in Calories, Gluten Free and Dairy Free, Suitable for Vegans & Vegetarians.
- A great alternative to White / Brown Rice. Use cauliflower rice in recipes that call for rice.
- An ideal way to sneak in extra portions of vegetables in your diet.
- Makes a delicious light lunch/dinner option.
- Ideal for busy weeknights
- Indian Cauli rice needs only a handful of ingredients and easy to customize. Like Green peas or Lima Beans, add them to the rice.
Ingredients you’ll need
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this fragrant great tasting cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower – Medium – Large head of cauliflower is all you need for the recipe. Rice the Cauliflower using one of the 3 techniques mentioned above.
Olive oil or Rapeseed oil or Coconut oil or any other neutral flavor oil like Sunflower oil will work in this recipe.
A knob of fresh Ginger – Peel the ginger with a spoon and grate with any flat grated.
Seasoning – I have used Brown Mustard seeds and Cumin Seeds in this recipe. You can also add a pinch Asafoetida, but it will not be gluten free.
Spice Powders – Turmeric Powder and Medium Curry Powder
Green Chilli adds the kick of fresh heat in the recipe. You also use Dried red chilli.
Curry leaves are an aromatic herb used in Indian cooking. They are easily available in your grocery stores.
Coriander leaves or Cilantro to add as a finishing touch.
How to make Spiced Cauliflower rice step by step?
In our version of Cauliflower spiced rice, I like to start with a fresh head of cauliflower. Using the food processor, I like to turn cauliflower into cauli rice and this step takes just about 1 minute. It is really easy to make Fresh Cauli rice at home. However, you can also use pre-riced cauliflower from grocery stores. Once you have riced cauliflower, 4 easy steps for making this Indian-inspired rice.
Next heat oil in the pan or a skillet. Add the seasoning – cumin, and mustard followed by curry leaves, green chilli. Allow the seasoning to pop.
Now add minced ginger, cauliflower rice, spice powders, salt, and saute to mix well.
Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add coriander leaves, just before serving and mix well.
Serve this Indian-style spicy cauliflower rice with your favorite curries. Store leftover cooked cauliflower rice in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How long does Cauliflower rice last?
Cooked Cauliflower rice
Cooked Cauli rice will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an air-tight sealed container. For up to 1 month in the freezer.
Raw Cauliflower rice
It’s best to use the raw riced cauliflower straight away after you turn cauliflower into rice. Alternatively, freeze them immediately in an airtight sealed container for up to 1 month. Raw Cauli rice tends to develop an unpleasant smell in the fridge and hence we prefer to use them immediately
Indian spiced cauli rice makes a great alternative to white rice. Serve this cauli couscous with medium to mild curries like Veg Rogan Josh, Chickpea Tikka Masala, Creamy Aubergine Curry, and Paneer Butter masala. Add a homemade poppadum and cucumber raita to complete a delicious Indian meal spread.
While this spiced Cauliflower rice is a delicious accompaniment to curries, it also tastes great as a light stand alone lunch option.
I like to stuff this cauliflower rice along with falafel inside my wrap for a quick meal.
Love this recipe, you will also love these cauliflower recipes
Indian spiced cauliflower rice recipe below
- 1 medium cauliflower 400g
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli sliced
- 10-12 curry leaves optional
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- First, turn the cauliflower into cauliflower rice. Place the cauliflower florets into the food processor and pulse a few times until you have rice like texture. Alternatively you can use a box grater with medium sized holes.
- Next heat oil in the pan or a skillet. Add the seasoning – cumin, and mustard followed by curry leaves, green chilli. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add minced ginger, cauliflower rice, spice powders, salt, and saute to mix well. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally over medium heat.
- Add coriander leaves, just before serving and mix well.
- Serve this Indian inspired spiced cauliflower rice with your favorite curries.