This Quick and Easy Instant Pot Mushroom rice makes a tasty meal, in under 30 minutes. Loaded with mushrooms, onion, garlic and then served with scallions – this one-pot mushroom and rice will soon become your favorite family dinner!
Want to make this over the stovetop, try this Mushroom rice recipe.
About this easy Instant Pot Mushroom rice recipe
If you are a mushroom lover, this mushroom rice recipe is just for you. This rice recipe is actually easy peasy to make and doesn’t take too long. Making it in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is a breeze and doesn’t require babysitting.
Prep the ingredients, saute them in cooking fat, and pressure cook. That’s all this easy rice recipe is about and it will take you less than 30 minutes.
It boasts delicious flavors of sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onion, and garlic. My kids have approved it and it makes a fantastic school lunch box recipe too.
Why make plain boring steamed rice, when you can make Seasoned rice for a similar time!
Why we love this recipe?
- Budget friendly – The recipe uses simple ingredients, easy to find at most grocery stores.
- Pressure Cooker – This mushroom rice recipe is made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. This leaves you hands-free most of the time.
- Versatile Ingredient – Mushrooms are available any time of the year, so this recipe is a keeper.
- Meal times – Perfect for Lunch, Dinner, or even school lunch boxes. Rice can be made in advance and it reheats nicely.
- Crowd friendly – It is easy to feed a crowd too. The recipe can be doubled, tripled, or even halved.
- Dietary needs – It’s naturally vegetarian and gluten-free! Can be vegan if you are using Vegan butter.
You will need the following ingredients to make an Instant Pot Mushroom and rice recipe.
Oil and Butter – Use Olive Oil or any other oil you prefer. Vegan or regular butter will add a buttery flavor to the rice.
Onion and Garlic – Dice the onion, finely. Use a garlic press to mince the garlic or use a grater. You can use store-bought garlic paste for convenience.
Mushrooms – The recipe uses white button mushrooms. You can also use brown button mushrooms, Cremini mushrooms, Baby Bella, Shitake Mushrooms, or a combination of your favorites.
White Basmati Rice – I prefer to use Tilda Extra-long basmati rice for rice dishes. Rinse the rice at least 5 to 6 times, until clear. Set it aside.
Vegetable stock – Vegetable stock adds a lot to the flavor. Although water will do the needful, stock, broth, and Better than Bouillon vegetarian will make a difference in the dish.
Seasoning – Season with Salt & Pepper to taste. Additional seasoning like Italian seasoning, chilli flakes can be added.
Spring onions – Finish the dish with a sprinkle of green part of spring onions (scallions)
How to make Mushroom rice in the Instant Pot?
Detailed step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below along with video instructions.
- Press SAUTE BUTTON on the Instant Pot. Once HOT, add oil and butter. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute or just until translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for at least 5 minutes until brown. Stir at least twice in between. If you see mushrooms sticking to the bottom of your pot, deglaze by adding 1 – 2 tablespoons of water. (optional)
- Now add the rinsed basmati rice and saute briefly for 30 seconds, until a bit toasty.
- Add vegetable stock, salt & pepper, Italian seasoning( if using), and stir to combine.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Close and secure the lid to the locked position. Check to make sure the vent is turned to SEAL.
- Select Pressure Cook and set the timer for 5 minutes, adjust the time using the up or down arrow. When the timer has finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for 3 minutes and then quick pressure release. Add spring onions, fluff with a fork, and serve hot.
Tips for making the Best Instant Pot Mushroom rice
Rinse the Rice well – No matter what type of rice you use, I will recommend rinsing the rice at least 5-6 times until clear.
Slice the mushroom – Do not slice it too thin as the mushrooms get dissolved in the rice.
Do not add Spring Onions while cooking, it can turn a bit mushy. I love the crunch that comes from the spring onions when you add them as garnish.
Butter lends the wonderful buttery texture and flavor to this rice dish. Do not skip it in the recipe. For a vegan alternative, use Vegan Butter.
Stock – For extra rich intense flavors, use a mushroom stock cube or dried mushrooms in your stock.
Easy to Scale Recipe – This recipe can be doubled or Tripled easily. Remember for every cup of rice, add 2 cups of liquid.
Serve this one-pot mushroom rice with a soup or a light salad for a wholesome meal.
Stuff this seasoned rice into the peppers, top with cheese, and bake for 7-10 minutes at 180C.
If you love this Mushroom recipe, you will also love
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Easy Mushroom rice in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot 6 Qt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Cup Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 ½ Cup Vegetable Stock or Broth
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- ¼ cup Scallions
- Rinse the basmati rice at least 5 -6 times until clear and set it aside.
- Press SAUTE BUTTON on your Instant Pot and make sure to set your Instant Pot to HIGH SAUTE setting.
- Once HOT, add oil and butter. Allow it to melt.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute or until translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir to combine with the rest of the ingredients. Allow the mushrooms to brown for at least 5 minutes, stirring twice in between.
- If you see mushrooms sticking to the bottom of your pot, deglaze by adding some water. (optional)
- Add the rinsed white basmati rice and saute for 30 seconds
- Add vegetable stock, salt & pepper and stir to combine.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Close and secure the lid to the locked position. Check to make sure the vent is turned to SEAL. Press Pressure Cook and set the timer for 5 minute, adjust time using the up or down arrow. When the timer has finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for 3 minutes and then Quick pressure release.
- Add the scallions, fluff the rice and serve hot.