We have combined some of our favourite ingredients and made a delightful mess – a Malaysian Pineapple Mess! The bright colours, pop of flavours and ease of assembling will tempt you to make this dessert again and again.
THE MALAYSIAN PINEAPPLE MESS
This vibrant Malaysian Pineapple Mess is a treat to behold and an ideal dessert to be enjoyed all year around, even during winter months!! Well, holiday season is the best time to enjoy sweet treats, isn’t it?!
Our Tropical Eton Mess has got some wonderful layers, and be it Christmas, or even summer parties, this dessert is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Preparing all the layers ahead of time will make assembling this dessert super quick and you will have friends and family returning for more servings for sure 🙂 I can guarantee it.
WHAT ARE THE LAYERS OF THE PINEAPPLE MALAYSIAN MESS?
Our version of the Pineapple Mess has layers of gold dusted meringues, pineapple compote, whipped cream and lots of goodness on the top, including Del Monte Gold® Pineapple Chunks, pomegranate seeds, toasted coconut, meringues and mint leaves.
But hey, did I mention Gold Pineapple?
Yes, our dessert is made with Del Monte® Gold Pineapple!
Del Monte® Gold is a new variety of pineapple which is naturally extra sweet, due to being left to ripen on the plant a little longer than the standard varieties.
Available in store at Tesco, ASDA, OCADO – RRP £1.30
It tastes just like fresh pineapple but is canned and available all year around, which means I don’t have to wait for peak pineapple season to arrive!
You can use store-bought meringues for an instant dessert or make them at home with our easy full proof recipe right below.
HOW TO SERVE PINEAPPLE MESS?
In my opinion, assembling and serving desserts are the best bits. I prefer serving them in wine glasses, small mason jars or even kilner jars. What is your favourite way of serving a Pineapple Eton Mess?
OTHER PINEAPPLE RECIPES TO EXPLORE
You could make a whole bunch of things with Del Monte® Gold Pineapple –
DETAILED MALAYSIAN PINEAPPLE MESS RECIPE BELOW
For Pineapple Compote
- 1 435 g can Del Monte® Gold Pineapple Chunks
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 1/4 cup of water
- 4 egg whites
- 280 g caster sugar
- Edible gold dust
- Pomegranate seeds
- Toasted coconut
- Mint leaves
- Edible gold stars
- 500 ml double cream whipped to stiff peak
- Heat the oven to 200 C. Line a baking tray with parchment and spread the caster sugar on top. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the corners turn slightly golden.
- Turn the temperature of the oven down to 100 C.
- Put the egg whites in the mixing bowl and begin whisking at a slow speed, gradually increasing it. Beat the egg whites until a stiff peak is achieved.
- Add one large spoon of sugar at a time and continue beating the mixture until all the sugar is incorporated and there is still a stiff peak.
- Line baking trays with parchment paper. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue mixture and cut about 5cm at the tip. Pipe the meringues gently, making sure they are spaced. The mixture should make about 45 individual meringues. Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until meringues stop sticking to the sheet.
- Switch off the oven and allow the meringues to cool in the oven. Remember to place a wooden spoon between the door, so it can be left ajar.
- Dust the meringues with edible gold dust.
- Store them in an airtight container. (They can be prepared at least 1 week in advance if required)
For Pineapple Compote
- Drain the juice from the Del Monte® can and pour it into a pot along with the water, cinnamon stick and sugar and allow it to boil.
- Add the Del Monte® Gold Pineapple Chunks and continue to cook until slightly reduced.
- Add vanilla extract and give it a good stir.
- Add the cornflour liquid to the mixture and cook for 2 minutes, until the pineapple compote is slightly thickened.
- Allow the compote mixture to cool down, before transferring it to an air tight jar.
- Place the meringues at the bottom of each glass and then layer with the pineapple compote, followed by whipped cream.
- Top the cream layer with pineapple chunks from the compote along with some pomegranate seeds, toasted coconut, edible gold stars and gold dusted meringues.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve.