This ultimate recipe of masala chips is just what you need when you want to snack on something that is easy to make and is delicious and mouth-watering too. Not only is this recipe quick and easy to make but it will typically give you the feels of a restaurant recipe for masala chips that are completely worthy of binging while you are at home.
Enjoy homemade masala fries with just a few easy steps. ( Video instructions included )
About this Easy Homemade Masala Chips Recipe
No matter where you travel, people enjoy hot and crisp potatoes especially when they come in the form of masala chips. To make this recipe a wee bit quicker we are using frozen chunky chips that you can easily air fry or even bake.
If you are someone who enjoys cooking from scratch then you can make the same chips recipe by making the chunky chips from the start like in this recipe for Air fryer Chunky Chips. The best part of this masala fries recipe is that the fries are cooked in an oven or air fryer and thus they don’t use as much oil as when you deep fry it.
You will need the following ingredients to make Masala Chips
- Oven Chunky Chips or Chunky fries – Any Frozen Oven Chips will work in this recipe to speed up the process. I love using Mccain chips. However to make it from scratch, follow the process, use
- Vegetable oil or Olive Oil
- Freshly minced Ginger Garlic is what I have used. You could also use storebought ginger garlic paste for convenience.
- Onion – I prefer to use diced white onion in this recipe for masalawala chips. Again it is entirely up to you if you like diced or sliced onions. This will also decide the cooking time. Also, you could use red onions too, if that’s what you have handy.
- Passata Sauce is also also known as Italian sieved tomato puree. Its smooth and made with ripe tomatoes. You could swap with Tomato Paste or fresh tomato puree.
- Spice Powders – I have used Ground cumin, Ground coriander, Chilli powder, and Garam masala to make these Indian flavored chips.
- Salt to taste.
- Lemon Juice or Lime Juice – either of them will work.
- Coriander leaves – Do not skip the coriander leaves. They add the fresh garnish to the chips
- Chaat masala is a spice blend available in Asian grocery stores.
Why you will love this recipe?
Did we already tell you that this recipe for masala chips is super easy, quick, and can be made by just about anyone who knows their way around the kitchen? If not, let us remind you once again about this. One of the reasons why you will enjoy this recipe is because;
- It is budget friendly and not very expensive
- All you need is the basic pantry ingredients to enjoy takeout stir fry style masala fries.
- The Indian style masala fries presents to you the famous British chips with an Indian twist.
- Instead of using a lot of oil to deep fry the masala fries you can also use the air fryer and use less than half the quantity of oil.
- Once the masala is ready all you gotta do is add the pre cooked fries to it and enjoy!
- If using ready made fries to add to the Indian masala make sure you use the chunky chips and not the skinny french fries.
- To save time you can prepare and work on the masala for chips while you are still cooking the fries in the oven or the air fryer.
- To add more zing to the masala make sure you drizzle it with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Once the fries are added to the masala make sure that you mix it properly so that all the fries get coated with an even layer of all the Indian spices.
What to serve with Masala Chips (Fries)?
Masala chips are best enjoyed when served hot and crisp and straight out of the air fryer/pan to the plate. Serve Masala Chips with a bottle of soda drink or even a cup of masala chai.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to air fry chunky chips for masala chips?
To make Air fryer Masala chips, preheat the Air fryer at 400°F / 202°C for 3 minutes. Place the chips in the air fryer basket and air fry for 10-12 minutes.
What to put in masala fries?
The best thing about the masala chips recipe is that based on your palate and taste, you can put just about anything to spice it up. Literally, the sky’s the limit when it comes to making the masala for chips.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE, YOU WILL ALSO LOVE
- 400 g Oven Chunky Chips or Chunky Fries
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 ” ginger
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 200 ml Passata Sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1/2 Tsp Chaat masala
- Preheat oven to 428°F (220°C). Spread out the chips on a baking tray or use oven proof mesh tray and bake for 14-15 minutes.
- Alternatively, Air fry the frozen chips. Preheat the Air fryer at 400°F / 202°C for 3 minutes. Place the chips in the air fryer basket and air fry for 10-12 minutes.
- While the fries are baking or air frying, prepare the masala. Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion, ginger garlic and fry for a few minutes until soft.
- Now add the passata sauce, spice powders, lemon juice, salt and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the chips to the pan and mix well to coat the spices.Garnish the coriander, sprinkle chaat masala and enjoy warm.