Huh…. Wot a piece of satisfaction… when We can make our own bread.. For me , baking a bread was just like a dream… and never knew it could be made so easily……
Yup.. I baked Pav(bread of Pav bhaji & I learnt it from Vah Chef .Isnt it lovely… Till date I have only picked up Wartburtons dinner rolls in London or used to go to a baker in India… and pick it..
Remember a friend making fun of me… during school days.. saying.. Sandy.. you making pav Bhaji… just impossible.. You wud pick a packet of Pav from the market.. , buy a packet of ready made bhaji too and serve them together taking all the credit…. Just recollected this funny incident when I baked my pav at home.
|All Purpose Flour(Maida)||3.5Cups|
|Butter||3.5 table spoon|
This measurement will yield 11 Pav’s .
PROPORTION FOR PAV PREPARATION IS:
1 Cup AllPurpose Flour : 1 gm Yeast : 1 table Spoon Butter
- In a medium size bowl , add sugar & to it add the dry yeast. Stir it well. Now add 1/2 cup of warm water & stir them well. Remember do not add hot water . It will kill the yeast rather than making it active.
- Lets add about 1 3/4 cup water altogether to this yeast mix. It is said flour will need about 55% roughly for making a soft dough.
- In a clear large flat bowl , add the flour, required salt & yeast water slowly and knead it well. Knead the dough for a little more time than the chapathi dough. The dough might be sticky,but with the addition of butter we will get a nice soft dough. Punch & knead a couple of times again so that the air molecules dont get retained .
- Cover the dough with a cling film or a Plastic sheet in a way that the vessel is sealed well. keep aside this dough for 1 hour. After an hour the dough is sure to rise .
- Knead the dough about 2 or 3 times again & now make medium sized balls and place them on a greased baking sheet dusted with a little bit of all purpose flour.PS: Apply a little bit of vegetable oil or butter on your palm while making the balls . There is a tendancy to stick a bit.
- Place the dough balls nearly touching with each other. Now again wrap the dough balls with a plastic sheet and keep it aside for about 30 min. You will find the dough balls have a taken a bit of a flat shape. Using a kitchen paper towel , give the dough balls a bit of milk wash .This will help the bread to get a little brownish on the top.
- Preheat the oven at 190 C & now bake the bough balls for 30 minutes. Hot Pav (Bread ) which is soft & fluffy(with a rebounce effect) is ready for your Pav Bhaji or Vada Pav..
Try them &let me know how you like it !!!