When I was walking down to school, I was thinking what could be my first post after a break… Rackling my head hard, my lil miss sunshine smiled at me ..And I knew it got to be one of her favourites.. Onion Uthappam. Miss S doesnt like plain dosa’s with sugar…as opposed to her elder brother !! And this is my favourite too .. A teeny bit of heat to this classic southindian dish !
A clear difference between a dosa to an uthappam is that the latter is thicker and the first is prefered thin and crisp .Again its entirely a personal choice.
Uthappams can have toppings of your choice.. Onion Uthappam , Tomato Onion Uthappam , kids friendly can be cheese uthappam , mixed veg uthappam . They are served with Coconut Chutney , Tomato Chutney & Sambar . But I just like it with Ketchup 🙂 and Coconut Chutney.
One can have an uthappam for breakfast, brunch or after an evening tea.. We had it for breakfast today ..
|Dosa Batter||2 cups|
|Red onions||1 Nos finely chopped|
|Green Chilli||1 Nos finely chopped|
|Coriander leaves||2-3 Tbsp finely chopped|
|Oil/ ghee||2 tsp per uttappam|
Finely Chop the onions ,green chillies and coriander leaves. Season your chopped onions with salt..This is purely optional.
- Heat your non stick tava or hot iron griddle. Spoon in a laddleful of dosa batter and spread it lightly. Sprinkle in chopped onions ,green chillies and the cilantro. Add a few drops of oil around the uttappam and cook it in a medium flame.
- After a minute or so , flip the uttappam and let it cook for another a 1.5- 2 minutes until the topping gets slightly crisp.
- At this stage you can remove the pancake and serve it with tiffin sambar , coconut chutney & tomato chutney. As I enjoy it with tomato ketchup… I dunked my uttappam in ketchup .
- You can buy dosa batter from an indian grocery store or can make it at home. I do not have the receipe posted , but hoping to post one soon.
- There are alternative ways of making uttappam.
1.Mix in your topping with the batter and then scoop it on to your tava. Flip on either side cooking for 2 minutes and serve.
2. After scooping in the batter on to the tava and sprinkling in your toppings followed by adding oil. .you can cover the uttappam with a plate or a dome shaped lid and allow it to cook.
- I believe this pancake as an excellent alternative to plain dosa’s for kids. You can avoid green chillies and use ghee for lubrication .
- For making this pancake, I do not wait for the last batch of idly/dosa batter or so.. I just make it whenever we like and its still yummy.