Diwali round the corner.. These come quite handy as a savory snack tat kids will definitely cherish and will ask for more. But these papdi’s are to be enjoyed as a base for Sev Puri or Papdi Chat .Or .. why not.. top it with some buttered sweetcorn spiced with salt n pepper and a bit of Sev…Quicky one… !!
I have tried a few variations before finalising on the perfect recipe..
- Combined 1/2 cup All purpose flour & 1/2 cup Wheat Flour along with 1/4th cup Semolina with the rest of the seasoning for the dough. Verdict : Slightly chewy papdi’s but healthy one’s
- Combined Allpurpose flour along with the seasoning for the dough. Verdict : Crispy papdi’s
- Combined Allpurpose flour along with few tsp’s of Semolina and sesoning for the dough Verdict : Crsipy papdi’s. ( Will prefer the second option).
|All Purpose Flour / Maida||1 Cup|
|Cumin Seeds||1 Tsp|
|Unsalted Butter/ Ghee||1.5 Tblspn|
- Melt 1.5 Tblspn of butter in a large mixing bowl.Combine in All purpose flour , Salt , Ajwain & cumin seeds and mix it with hand with the butter.A crumbly texture should attain. Add very little water to knead them into a stiff dough. Cover the dough and keep it aside for a roughly 15 min.
- Take a big chunk of the dough and roll it flat with a rolling pin.Using a round pastery cutter or a rectangular one cut shapes as desired. Use a fork to pierce a few holes around and this will eliminate the papdi’s from puffing up.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai in a low-medium flame. Add a small piece of the dough to check if the oil is rightly heated. Papdi’s needs to go to the base of the pan and come up quickly . Drop in the papdi’s in batches.Fry them in low flame until color turns a bit of light yellow. Drain the papdi onto the kitchen towel.
- Once they get to room temperature ,store them in an airtight container.Repeat the process for the rest of the dough and enzoy the papdi’s.
- I used them up to make Sev Puri ‘s and Papdi Chat. . This time.. Sev Puri recipe will b up soon.. No more waiting… like other ones… Until then enjoy the pleasant wait for Diwali.