Yet another family classic today at Sandhya’s Kitchen. And why not ??? I am also learning whilst I create the recipe or learn it back home.
Molagootal is a Palakad Brahmin Recipe that is lightly spiced with mixed vegetables,lentils and coconut.
Its absolutely healthy and delicious on its own.There are soo many
variations to it . It can be made with Spinach & red pumpkin too. This is one type of curry that can be enjoyed with a lot of sides..
One of the sides, that many lick their fingers until it completely vanishes of their hands..And H is no different at home.. He would love it with Molagootal of any kind.. A sweet tangy chilli dip with traditional ingredients ..Yes !! Its puli inji / pulikachal. Slurpp… With Molagootal ,we can have soo many accompaniements like this Puli Inji , Thengai podi ( coconut powder), a pachadi ( raitha) , salad and what not…
SOmetimes I preassume its a curry that families enjoy or the sides or its a hand in hand. Whatever it is .. its just yumm…
When Amma visited me in June, She made large batches, just for H and I carefully noted it down as she made it.. This puli inji can be stored in the fridge for atleast 2 Months. But we need to ensure not to use any wet spoon to fetch it out. Instant version recipe is already in my space. Click here for the recipe.
100 gram puli (Tamarind)
100 grams jaggery. (Vellam)
25 grams green
25 grams Ingi ( Ginger)
1 strand Curry Leaves ( karugapulai)
2 tbsp. Til Oil
1 tsp. Mustard
1 tsp. Bengal gram
5-6 Nos Curry leaves
1 tsp. Bengal gram (kadala parupu)
spoon Methi Seeds
1 Nos dried red chilli
1/2 tsp. spoon rice
- Soak the Tamarind in a cup of hot water for atleast 30 minutes. By then the tamarind would have softened and squeeze out the extract and set it aside. Just incase you feel the tamarind extract is less than desired, use a portion of readymade tamarind paste and dilute it.
- Peel the ginger skin and chop it into fine pieces. Also wash the green chillies, remove the stem and chop them fine too.
- Powder the jaggery by crushing with a hammer or alternatively dilute it in water.
- Heat Til oil in a pan . Once heated add all the seasoning ingredients. When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, drop the chopped ginger,green chillies and curry leaves. Fry it for a minute .
- Pour the tamarind extract and jaggery and allow it to boil over a medium flame.Cook it for atleast 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the pulp reduces to half. Adjust the salt accordingly.When the pulp thickens, switch off the gas.
- Dry fry all the ingredients under the category for powdering. After cooling coarse grind and add it to the main puli inji . Adding this powder imparts an additional enhancing aroma..and flavour.
- This Puli Inji can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for atleast tow months.