Pulikachal is one among the favourite side dishes , most people look forward at South Indian(Brahmin) weddings. Some people also call it Puli-ingi…. My husband just loves to have it with Molagutal. Now my 18 months old boy loves to lick it with his tiny fingers..
- Ginger 2 ” in length chopped into small pieces
- Tamarind (Pulli) Big Lemon size
- Jaggery 2 * small lemon size
- Turmeric 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urd Dal 1/4 tsp
- Oil 4 tsp
- Asofoetida 1/4 tsp
- Green Chilli 4 -6 Slit into 2 halves . (Depending upon hotness)
How to make Pulikachal??
- Add Tamarind to 2 glasses of warm water. Once it softens , squeeze out the tamarind juice properly.
- Pour the oil in a kadai. Once it gets hot, add the seasoning ingredients ( Mustard seeds , urd dal , Asofoetida , Turmeric powder). Once the mustard seeds splutter , add ginger and green chillies.
Fry all for about 2 min.
- Now add the squeezed tamarind juice and salt to the above fried ingredients.
- Once quantity of tamarind water added becomes half , add jaggery & again 1 glass of water.
Allow it boil again. Now when the quantity is partially reduced , remove the Pulikachal from the gas.
- Pulikachal is now ready to be served with Molagutal.