Instant Pot Rajma Chawal is a super comforting Indian meal combo that my family really loves. Delicious Kidney beans curry served with Rice, along with onion and lemon wedges.
If you want to treat your family to the best Rajma, Try this recipe for Rajma curry today! Learn how to make this One Pot Curry following the step-by-step method & video illustration.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE – INSTANT POT RAJMA MASALA WITH STEAMED RICE
Rajma Chawal only screams comfort food and Instant Pot makes this Vegan curry with ease. All you need is just One Pot!
You can either use dried kidney beans (soaked or unsoaked) or Canned Beans for the recipe. Cooking time will accordingly vary. All the details are mentioned in the recipe card below.
This Kidney bean curry is loaded with fiber and hence it makes a hearty side dish any day. Any left-over Kidney Beans curry can be refrigerated to use the next day – perfect for Lunch Boxes too!
So if you are still wondering,
What is Rajma Masala?
Rajma Masala is originally an Indian Punjabi dish, made with dried Red Kidney beans, onion, tomatoes, and a selection of Indian spices. This easy Vegan Vegetarian meal is delicious to serve on busy nights. Make for 1 or feed a crowd – the time taken to cook this curry is the same. Serve this hearty kidney beans curry with rice and it is known as Rajma Chawal. However, you can serve this Rajma Curry with Naan Bread or Flatbread too.
I can highly recommend this curry for Batch Cooking too!
What is Rajma Chawal?
Rajma is the Indian name for Red Kidney beans and Chawal is for Rice. Rajma chawal is one of the most delicious and comforting combo in North Indian households. Delicious Rajma masala is served with rice along with onion & lemon wedges.
Make your Perfect steaming rice in the Pressure Cooker with this recipe for Instant Pot Basmati Rice.
WE KNOW YOU WILL LOVE THIS RAJMA MASALA ! BECAUSE THEY ARE
- So easy to make. You will ditch your visit to the Indian takeaway joint.
- PERFECT FOR LUNCH BOXES.
- Full-on Flavours even the next day!
- Healthier and just so delicious.
- All about comfort food with ease!
- Perfect for Batch Cooking
- PAIRS really well with rice, roti, flatbread, naan bread, or paratha
This Kidney Beans curry is healthy with incredible flavors, Dairy-free and Gluten-free too.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RAJMA MASALA CURRY
This rajma (kidney beans curry ) is made with frugal ingredients, easily available in your pantry. It is cooked with rajma (kidney beans), onions, tomatoes, and a selection of spices. Simply try this rajma recipe today and don’t forget to tell me how much your family loved it.
You will need
Kidney Beans – Dried beans or Canned Beans both work well in the recipe. I have used soaked dried beans
Onion – Both white and red onion are delicious in the recipe.
Tomato – I like to use Red Vine Tomatoes. To speed up the recipe – you can also use a 1 can of tomatoes about 400g
Ginger Garlic paste adds tons of flavor in this rajma masala
Green Chilli for heat!
Rajma Masala or Garam Masala – Rajma Masala uses a special blend of spices for this curry. However, you can always use my Instant Garam masala recipe for a quick Swap.
Ground Cumin – Use homemade or store bought powder
Ground Coriander – Use homemade or store bought powder
Chilli Powder – Adding a little chilli powder in addition to green chillies adds the spiciness. Adjust the quantity to suit your liking.
Kasuri Methi is also known as Dried fenugreek leaves. Do not substitute for fresh methi leaves or ground methi powder.
Coriander leaves or Cilantro leaves
Oil – Any neutral flavor oil is good in the recipe. You can also use Ghee for added flavors.
How to make Instant Pot Rajma Masala step by step
Soak the Rajma overnight or for at least 4 hours in enough water. Drain the water and set aside.
Press Saute Button. When HOT, add oil, bayleaf & cumin seeds. Once it sizzles, add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until its translucent and lightly brown.
Add the ginger-garlic, green chili, tomatoes, spice powders and saute for 3-4 minutes.
Now add soaked kidney beans, water, salt and Stir.
Cancel the Saute mode. Seal the lid, turn the vent to sealing. Pressure Cook HIGH for 30 minutes or Select Bean Chilli mode.
Natural Pressure release.
If you find the gravy consistency thin, Mash the bean gently. You can also return to Saute and cook briefly for 3 – 4 minutes.
Sprinkle Kasuri methi ( Dried Fenugreek leaves ) and coriander leaves. Serve warm over steamed rice to scoop out all the delicious curry.
For a creamy kidney beans curry, you can add some swirl in some cream or coconut milk too. This also cuts down the heat in the curry, if you find it spicy.
For a smooth texture in the curry, use a blend of onion, tomato, ginger garlic and green chilli instead of diced vegetables.
Serving Suggestions for RAJMA
Rajma and Basmati Rice is a comforting combo in many households in India. As I have mentioned before, you can also serve Rajma with Naan bread, Flatbread, Roti, or even Quinoa. All the pairings are delicious and a great way to soak up the extra gravy.
Why do we soak Rajma Overnight?
Soaking Rajma / kidney beans over night ensures you have tender beans the next day. You will require to cook for a lesser time compared to unsoaked beans.
How to Quick Soak Dried Beans in the Instant Pot?
We often forget to soak the beans ahead of time. Thanks to this Quick Soak Beans technique you don’t have to worry. Place the dried beans and water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. . Secure the lid, set the vent to sealing, and pressure cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Drain the stock and use these beans in recipes that call for soaked beans.
This method works well with any dried beans like garbanzo beans ( chickpeas ), black beans, pinto beans..
How to make NO SOAK INSTANT POT RAJMA MASALA?
The method is just the same as with the soaked kidney beans. However you will require longer cooking for unsoaked beans. Follow steps 1 – 5 in the recipe card below. Add the dried beans, 3 cups of water and, set the Pressure Cook time to 1 hour 10 minutes and then Natural pressure release. Garnish and serve warm with rice.
HOW TO MAKE RAJMA WITH CANNED BEANS?
Follow steps 1 -5 in the recipe card below. Add the canned kidney beans, 1 cup of water and set the Pressure Cook time for 5 minutes and then Natural pressure release.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Subscribe to my Newsletter for more tasty recipes every week!
Quick & Easy Instant Pot Rajma Masala Chawal Recipe Below
Kidney Beans ( Rajma Masala)
- 1 Cup Dried Kidney Beans soaked overnight
- 2 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 medium Tomatoes or 1 Can of Tomatoes diced
- ½-¾ Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tsp Rajma Masala or Garam Masala
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
Rice ( Chawal)
- 2 Cup Basmati Rice
- 2½ Cup Water
- Salt To Taste
Instant Pot Rajma Masala
- Soak the Kidney beans overnight for atleast 6- 8 hours in enough water. Drain and set it aside.
- Press SAUTE BUTTON on your Instant Pot and Wait for the Instant Pot to display HOT. Add Oil and allow it to melt in high heat.Add Bayleaf, Cumin seeds and allow the seeds to sizzle.
- Now add the diced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until light brown and translucent. De glaze with 1 Tbsp of water if needed.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste, Green Chilli, Diced Tomatoes, spice powders and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the soaked kidney beans, water, salt to the onion tomato masala.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Close and secure the lid to the locked position. Check to make sure the vent is turned to SEAL. Press Pressure Cook and set the timer for 30 minute, adjust time using the up or down arrow. Pressure Cook HIGH for 30 minute. When the timer has finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 15 -18 minutes. Turn the seal to VENT and remove the instant pot lid. Press 'CANCEL' to turn off the keep warm mode.
- If you find the consistency a bit watery, mash the beans a bit.
- Garnish with Kasuri Methi and Coriander leaves.
- Serve warm Rajma Masala with steamed rice, onion and lemon wedges.
Instant Pot Basmati
- To make perfect Tender Basmati rice – follow this method for Instant Pot Basmati.