This mayo-free festive red cabbage slaw is a perfect side dish for the holidays. Fresh red cabbage, carrots, onions, and coriander are tossed in a flavourful homemade vinaigrette, creating a quick and vibrant dish bursting with flavours and textures. Serve this delightful red cabbage salad as is or alongside your favourite mains for a complete meal.
Why you’ll love this Red Cabbage Coleslaw?
- Quick and easy: This recipe is a breeze to prepare, making it perfect for busy days or last-minute meal plans. Just 10 minutes of prep time!
- Healthy: Packed with nutritious ingredients like red cabbage, carrots, and onions, this coleslaw provides a range of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Versatile – easy to customise: You can personalise this coleslaw to your taste by adding your favourite ingredients such as apples, nuts, or dried cranberries. The possibilities are endless!
- Crispy and refreshing: The combination of fresh red cabbage, crunchy carrots, and zesty vinaigrette creates a delightful texture and refreshing flavour that will leave you wanting more.
- Dietary needs: This red cabbage slaw is a great choice for various dietary preferences as it is naturally gluten-free, vegan, and can be made without any mayo or dairy-based ingredients.
- Crowd pleaser: This red cabbage coleslaw is an ideal dish to bring to potlucks, BBQs, and holiday gatherings. Its vibrant colours and refreshing taste add a festive touch to any occasion, making it a versatile and inviting addition to your table.
Ingredients & Substitutions
For the Salad:
- Red cabbage: Use shredded red cabbage as the base for this slaw. If red cabbage is not available, you can substitute it with green cabbage for a similar crunch.
- Carrots: Cut the carrots to matchsticks to use in the salad. They add sweetness and vibrant colour to the slaw.
- Red Onion: Thinly sliced red onions provide a mild bite and additional flavor. Not a fan, sub with spring onions.
- Coriander: Fresh coriander leaves, adds herbal and refreshing flavours to the slaw. Substitute with it with parsley or mint.
For the Vinaigrette Dressing:
- Apple cider vinegar: The tangy apple cider vinegar adds acidity and brightness to the slaw. You can also substitute it with white wine vinegar for a similar effect.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil provides a smooth and rich base for the vinaigrette. You can substitute it with avocado oil, grape seed oil, or any other mild-flavoured oil of your choice.
- Lemon: Adds a touch of citrusy flavours. Sub with lime juice.
- Maple syrup: A touch of maple syrup adds a subtle sweetness to balance the acidity of the vinegar. You can substitute it with honey or agave syrup as a natural sweetener.
- Salt & Pepper: Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste, enhancing the flavours of the slaw.
Slice the red cabbage for coleslaw
To slice the cabbage for coleslaw, you have a few options:
- Food Processor: Use a food processor with a slicing blade attachment to quickly and evenly slice the cabbage into thin strips.
- Knife: Use a sharp knife to remove the tough outer leaves, cut the cabbage into quarters, and then slice it thinly by hand.
- Mandolin Slicer: Another option is to use a mandolin slicer set to a thin setting. Hold the cabbage firmly and slide it across the blade to create uniform slices.
How to make easy Red Cabbage slaw recipe?
To make this easy Red Cabbage slaw recipe:
- Prep the dressing: Combine all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar, shake well to combine, and adjust the flavours to your liking.
- Mix the ingredients: In a bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, carrots, red onion, and fresh coriander. Add the dressing to the bowl and toss everything together until well coated.
- Serve or refrigerate: Serve the slaw immediately for a crisp and refreshing side dish, or cover and refrigerate it for later use. It stays well in the refrigerator, allowing the flavours to meld together even more.
Serving Suggestions for Red Cabbage and Carrot slaw
- Side Dish: Pair this vibrant coleslaw with vegetarian burgers, sandwiches, or wraps for a refreshing crunch.
- Taco Toppings: Use the coleslaw as a tangy and crisp topping for vegetarian tacos, adding a burst of flavour and texture.
- Buddha Bowl Boost: Add the coleslaw to vegetarian Buddha bowls for a colourful and nutritious element that complements grains, roasted vegetables, and legumes.
- Festive Mains: Serve the coleslaw alongside festive vegetarian mains, such as stuffed peppers, roasted portobello mushrooms, or vegetable Wellington, for a refreshing and vibrant side dish.
Storing Red Cabbage and Carrot Coleslaw
To keep your red cabbage and carrot coleslaw fresh, simply cover it and refrigerate it. The coleslaw can be stored for up to 4 days, allowing you to enjoy its flavours and textures over multiple meals.
Make-Ahead Red Cabbage Coleslaw for Christmas
Preparing a festive meal can be time-consuming, but with this make-ahead tip, you can simplify your Christmas preparations. You can prepare the red cabbage salad and the dressing separately in advance. The salad will stay fresh for up to 4 days when refrigerated, while the dressing can be stored for up to 1 week. When you’re ready to serve, simply pour the dressing over the salad, give it a toss, and add fresh herbs for that final touch of flavour and bright colour. This way, you can save time and still have a delicious red cabbage slaw to accompany your festive feast.
More salad recipes
Homemade red cabbage slaw recipe below
For the Salad
- ½ head of Red cabbage shredded
- 2 Carrots cut into matchsticks or shredded
- ½ Red Onion shredded
- ½ cup Fresh coriander or more
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prep the dressing: In a mason jar, combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Give it a good shake to mix everything together. Alternatively, you can whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl.3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar, 3 tbsp Olive oil, 1 tsp Lemon juice, 1 tbsp Maple syrup, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Assemble the slaw: Place the shredded red cabbage, carrots, red onion, and fresh coriander in a large bowl.½ head of Red cabbage, 2 Carrots, ½ Red Onion, ½ cup Fresh coriander
- Pour the dressing: Drizzle the prepared dressing over the vegetables in the bowl. Toss everything together to ensure the slaw is well coated with the dressing.½ head of Red cabbage, 2 Carrots, ½ Red Onion, ½ cup Fresh coriander, 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar, 3 tbsp Olive oil, 1 tsp Lemon juice, 1 tbsp Maple syrup, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Enjoy your delicious red cabbage and carrot slaw as a refreshing side dish or a flavourful topping for various dishes.