I have a perfect recipe for this Brrr Winter no Brr Cold Spring – Vegan Roasted Pumpkin Coconut Soup.
We are in mid-March! The time of the year for Spring when the flowers begin to bloom, when we should be dressed in casual clothes with a light cardigan, galloping ice creams…
But nothing like that is actually happening. We are struck again by the Beast from the East ( mini version ) and thank God Storm Emma is not visiting us!! It has been snowing today with temperatures as low as -2 C during the day..
All that can keep us in good spirits, in this dampening weather, is this bowl of warm Pumpkin soup and some wraps. Heyy, are you as excited as me checking out this another Pumpkin recipe? Pumpkin Phulka recipe that I shared in my previous post has been immensely popular. So many lovely readers out there have already tried and have written back to me about it:) This is absolutely motivating and I am inspired to work on comfort recipes for the blog. Btw, have you tried Chakalaka ? I found this one pot meal recipe on Recipes From A Pantry
Well, making this Pumpkin Coconut Soup is really easy too. After chopping the pumpkin into large chunks/ wedges, I placed them in a roasting tin along with garlic cloves and roasted them until pumpkin was soft. And the gorgeous creamy & healthy Roasted Pumpkin Coconut Soup happened.
When I made it for the first time a few years back, my better half never thought a Pumpkin Soup can be edible. He was just not in favour of roasting the pumpkins then 🙂 But when I made them all, the house was filled with roasted aroma and smelled so great.. and the family wanted to just ladle the soup and enjoy it with bread.
That was a voila feeling! Since then this pumpkin soup has been our favourites and I have been making subtle variations and today we have Pumpkin Coconut Soup.
ROASTED PUMPKIN COCONUT SOUP RECIPE BELOW
- 1 Red Onion roughly chopped
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 2 Cups of Water
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 500 g Pumpkin
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Can of Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Garnish with Toasted Coconut Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Deseed the Pumpkin Seeds, cut the pumpkin into chunks or wedges. Place them in a roasting tray along with garlic cloves wrapped in a foil. Generously drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on the pumpkin wedges and roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the pumpkins are soft.
- Scoop out the pumpkin flesh and squeeze out the garlic from the skin and set them aside.
- In the meanwhile heat oil in the pan, add the onions and fry until translucent. Add the pumpkin flesh along with garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Crumble the vegetable stock cube and add it to the pot. Add 2 Cups of water and allow the whole mixture to boil and then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add Coconut milk, cumin powder, cinnamon powder and stir the mixture well.
- At this stage insert the immersion blender and blend, adding more water if you would enjoy a thinner consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning!
- Ladle the soups into the bowls and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.