Want to enjoy the Chinese salt and pepper chips recipe that brings you the best British takeaway favourite repackaged with a twist? Get your hands ready and dig into the Healthy Chinese salt & pepper chips recipe without wasting any more time. Less than 30 Minutes is all you need!
Easy Takeaway Chinese Salt and Pepper Chips Recipe
Potatoes in any form are enjoyed by all and probably that is why this salt and pepper chips recipe is a hot favorite that you all can enjoy. What makes this recipe even better is that you can easily use chip shop fat chips and not skinny fries and get to eating almost instantly. Please note that this is not an authentic Chinese dish, and is merely British chips with Chinese twist. You have the choice of either making these chips in a preheated oven or use the convenient air fryer.
Why will you love this Fakeaway recipe?
Do we even need any more reason as to why this recipe is enjoyable if we have already said that it is a takeaway favourite that gets ready in minutes? In case you are still looking for reasons, here are a few!
- It is quick and easy and can be made with a simple stir fry method.
- Why not try something different than the regular chips?
- Budget-Friendly than ordering a takeaway.
- Healthy!! as the chips are air-fried or oven-baked instead of deep-frying.
- Free from any preservatives or additives
- Add in as many opt-in as you like. An element of freshness can be added by adding spring onions, to give it the typical Chinese feel.
- Using basic essential ingredients like the Chinese five-spice powder and white pepper powder, you can get ready to eat British chips with a Chinese twist.
You will need just 10 Ingredients in total including frozen Oven Chips, Oil and Salt.
- Oven Chips – This recipe uses frozen oven chips to speed up the process. You can make the chips from scratch using our recipe for Chunky Chips.
- Mixed Peppers – For this recipe, I am using both Red and Green bell pepper. They are sliced and not diced. But it’s completely optional on how you like it.
- Onion – I prefer to use diced white onion in this recipe for salt and pepper chips. Again it is entirely up to you if you like diced or sliced onions. This will also decide the cooking time.
- Garlic – 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic is what I have used. You can also use store-bought garlic paste for convenience.
- Chinese 5 Spice Powder – is the key ingredient of the recipe. It is a combination of 5 easily available whole spices in the pantry.
- Salt – I prefer using Sea salt flakes in this recipe for chips.
- Ground White Pepper is another key ingredient for this Quick & Easy homemade Chips. As the Chinese five-spice has ground black pepper, my preference is to use white pepper only. Use Black pepper if White is not available.
- Chilli- Use Green or/ and Red Chilli. Apart from the heat, they also add great color to the chips.
- Spring Onions also known as Scallions – I prefer to chop them in two different ways for added texture. You can choose to slice it.
How to Oven Bake Frozen Chips?
Preheat the oven to 220C. Place the Chunky frozen chips in the mesh tray and then into the oven in the middle shelf. Bake for 14-16 minutes until ready.
Using an Ovenproof Mesh tray for Oven Chips is the key for crispy chips. I bought my mesh tray for 2£ at Dunelm. It is also available on Amazon, Pound Land, and most superstores.
How to Air fry Frozen Oven Chips?
Preheat the Air fryer at 400F/200C for 3 minutes. Place the Oven Chips into Air fryer Basket.
Air fry for 12 minutes. At half time, turn the chips around or give the basket a shake to avoid sticking.
Air fryer Oven Chips are ready to served/used.
I have used Instant Pot Air fryer Vortex 6 in 1 for the recipe. When using the Instant Pot Air fryer, simply select the time and temperature. The air fryer will prompt you to add the food when the gadget has heated. There is no separate preheating step needed with this air fryer.
How to make Healthy Salt and Pepper Chips?
- Cook the Oven Chips in the Air fryer or Oven using the instructions above. This recipe uses Frozen Chunky Oven Chips for Convenience and Speed.
- Heat oil in a chef’s pan, frying pan, or wok. Add the onion, garlic and saute briefly.
- Add the red pepper, chilli, and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the Chinese five-spice, salt pepper, air fried or oven-baked chips. Toss well to coat the spices, for about a minute.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with spring onions, chilli ( using if any), and serve.
- If you are utilizing ready-made chips make sure that you use chip shop fat chips and not skinny fries.
- Make sure that you toss all the fries evenly once the Chinese five-spice mixture is ready.
- Using White Pepper is important in the recipe. If you are using black pepper instead, keep in mind – the color can vary.
- Say goodbye to deep frying and use minimum oil in the air fryer to make this salt and pepper chips recipe.
- These Salt & Pepper Chips tastes best when served fresh. In case you want to reheat them, place them back on a baking tray or in the air fryer basket. However, they don’t taste as good as the fresh ones.
Serving suggestions for Chinese Salt and Pepper Chips
Some of the Indo Chinese takeaway style dishes you may like
- Gobi Manchurian
- Honey Soy fried rice
- Veg Clear Soup
- Vegetable Chowmein
- Schezwan Chilli Potatoes
- Instant Pot Garlic Noodles
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I air fry the chips for this salt & pepper chips recipe?
Air fry the chunky oven chips for 12 minutes at 400F/200C.
Is this Chips Healthy?
Yes, this recipe for British Chinese takeaway chips is healthy as the chips are air-fried or oven cooked ( not deep fried)
Where do I buy frozen Oven Chips?
In the UK, you can buy frozen Oven Chips from Super Stores like Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, M&S and Morrisons. Frozen Chips are available in the freezer section in bags of 1Kg and 2.5Kg. You can either buy Inhouse brand of chips or Mccain Chips or Aunt Bessie Homestyle Chips.
Read the instructions for cooking temperature and time. It can vary from brand to brand.
Where do salt and pepper chips come from?
This UK Chinese takeaway recipe that has become such a hit has been given to us by the Chinese immigrants who traveled to Liverpool and opened up several chip shops.
MORE CHIPS RECIPES FOR YOU!
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Quick & Easy Salt and Pepper Chips with step by step instructions
- 400 g Oven Chips
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 White onion sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper / black pepper
- 1 red or green chilli
- 1 spring onion scallion
- 1 red chilli sliced
- Preheat oven to 428°F (220°C). Spread out the chips on a baking tray or use oven proof mesh tray and bake for 14-15 minutes.
- Alternatively, Air fry the frozen chips. Preheat the Air fryer at 400°F / 202°C for 3 minutes. Place the chips in the air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F (202°C) for 10-12 minutes.
- In the mean while,Heat oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the onion, garlic and saute briefly.
- Add the red pepper, chilli and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the chinese five spice, salt pepper, air fried or oven baked chips. Toss well to coat the spices, for about a minute.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with spring onions, chilli ( using if any) and serve.