Want to enjoy the Chinese salt and pepper chips recipe that brings you the best British takeaway favourite repackaged with a twist? Get your hands ready and dig into the Healthy Chinese salt & pepper chips recipe without wasting any more time. Less than 30 Minutes is all you need!
About my homemade Takeaway Classic – Chinese Salt and Pepper Chips Recipe
We love salt and pepper potatoes from chopstix and salt and pepper chips from Chinese takeaway. Now what if I tell you, you can make chips at home with ease?
What makes this recipe convenient is that you can easily use frozen chip shop fat chips for shortcut. And you can enjoy them almost instantly. This is not an authentic Chinese dish, but my adaptation of British chips with Chinese twist. You have the choice of either making these chips in the oven or use the convenience of air fryer to make salt and pepper chips.
Why is it called Salt and Pepper Chips?
These thick-cut chips are tossed in a flavourful salt and pepper seasoning, creating a tasty homemade version of the classic takeout favourite. The signature salt and pepper seasoning usually has salt, white pepper, Chinese five-spice powder, and sometimes MSG, but I skip the MSG in my recipe. This mix gives the chips a unique and delicious flavour, perfect for those who like a bit of spice with a hint of Chinese-inspired taste.
Why will you love this Fakeaway Chinese chips recipe?
- It is quick and easy and can be made with a simple stir fry method.
- Why not try something different than the regular chips?
- Budget-Friendly than ordering a takeaway.
- Healthy!! as the chips are air-fried or oven-baked instead of deep-frying.
- Free from any preservatives or additives
- Add in as many opt-in as you like. An element of freshness can be added by adding spring onions, to give it the typical Chinese feel.
- Using basic essential ingredients like the Chinese five-spice powder and white pepper powder, you can get ready to eat British chips with a Chinese twist.
You will need just 10 Ingredients in total including frozen Oven Chips, Oil and Salt.
- Oven Chips – This recipe uses frozen oven chips to speed up the process. You can make the chips from scratch using our recipe for Chunky Chips.
- Mixed Peppers – For this recipe, I am using both Red and Green bell pepper. They are sliced and not diced. But it’s completely optional on how you like it.
- Onion – I prefer to use diced white onion in this recipe for salt and pepper chips. Again it is entirely up to you if you like diced or sliced onions. This will also decide the cooking time.
- Garlic – 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic is what I have used. You can also use store-bought garlic paste for convenience.
- Chinese 5 Spice Powder – is the key ingredient of the recipe. It is a combination of 5 easily available whole spices in the pantry.
- Salt – I prefer using Sea salt flakes in this recipe for chips.
- Ground White Pepper is another key ingredient for this Quick & Easy homemade Chips. As the Chinese five-spice has ground black pepper, my preference is to use white pepper only. Use Black pepper if White is not available.
- Chilli- Use Green or/ and Red Chilli. Apart from the heat, they also add great color to the chips.
- Spring Onions also known as Scallions – I prefer to chop them in two different ways for added texture. You can choose to slice it.
What’s the best way to cook oven Chips?
Oven chips can be cooked through deep frying, oven baking, or using an air fryer. In my view, the air fryer stands out as the best choice for making delicious air fryer salt and pepper chips with oven chips. Also cooking in the air fryer is healthy and quicker than in the oven.
How to Oven Bake Frozen Chips?
Preheat the oven to 220C. Place the Chunky frozen chips in the mesh tray and then into the oven in the middle shelf. Bake for 14-16 minutes until ready.
Using an Ovenproof Mesh tray for Oven Chips is the key for crispy chips. I bought my mesh tray for 2£ at Dunelm. It is also available on Amazon, Pound Land, and most superstores.
How to Air fry Frozen Oven Chips?
Preheat the Air fryer at 400F/200C for 3 minutes. Place the Oven Chips into Air fryer Basket.
Air fry for 12 minutes. At half time, turn the chips around or give the basket a shake to avoid sticking.
Air fryer Oven Chips are ready to served/used.
I have used Instant Pot Air fryer Vortex 6 in 1 for the recipe. When using the Instant Pot Air fryer, simply select the time and temperature. The air fryer will prompt you to add the food when the gadget has heated. There is no separate preheating step needed with this air fryer.
How to make Salt and Pepper Chips at home?
- Cook the Oven Chips in the Air fryer or Oven using the instructions above. This recipe uses Frozen Chunky Oven Chips for Convenience and Speed.
- Heat oil in a chef’s pan, frying pan, or wok. Add the onion, garlic and saute briefly.
- Add the red pepper, chilli, and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the Chinese five-spice, salt pepper, air fried or oven-baked chips. Toss everything together to coat the spices, for about a minute.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with spring onions, chilli ( using if any), and serve.
Tips for the best salt and pepper chips
- Slice the veggies and set it aside before you start making the chips. The cooking process is fast.
- If you are using ready-made chips make sure that you use chunky chips and not skinny fries.
- Make sure that you toss all the fries evenly once the Chinese five-spice mixture is ready.
- Using White Pepper is important in the recipe. If you are using black pepper instead, keep in mind – the color can vary.
- Ditch deep frying and use minimum oil in the air fryer to make this salt and pepper chips recipe.
- These Salt & Pepper Chinese Chips tastes best when served fresh. In case you want to reheat them, place them back on a baking tray or in the air fryer basket. However, they don’t taste as good as the fresh ones.
Serving suggestions for Chinese style Salt and Pepper Chips
Some of the popular Indo Chinese takeaway style dishes you may like
- Gobi Manchurian
- Honey Soy fried rice
- Veg Clear Soup
- Vegetable Chowmein
- Schezwan Chilli Potatoes
- Instant Pot Garlic Noodles
Frequently Asked Questions
How to store the leftover air fryer salt and pepper chips?
Store any leftover chinese salt and pepper chips in air tight container in fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place them in the air fryer basket and air fry at 180C for 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Can I air fry the chips for this salt & pepper chips recipe?
Air fry the chunky oven chips for 12 minutes at 400F/200C. If you want to make chunky chips from scratch, I’ve got a recipe for air fryer chunky chips.
Is this Chips Healthy?
Yes, this recipe for British Chinese takeaway chips is healthy as the chips are air-fried or oven cooked ( not deep fried)
Where do I buy frozen Oven Chips?
In the UK, you can buy frozen Oven Chips from Super Stores like Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, M&S and Morrisons. Frozen Chips are available in the freezer section in bags of 1Kg and 2.5Kg. You can either buy Inhouse brand of chips or Mccain Chips or Aunt Bessie Homestyle Chips.
Read the instructions for cooking temperature and time. It can vary from brand to brand.
Where do salt and pepper chips come from?
This UK Chinese takeaway recipe that has become such a hit has been given to us by the Chinese immigrants who travelled to Liverpool and opened up several chip shops.
How many calories are in a serving of chinese salt and pepper chips?
There are 170 calories in salt and pepper chinese chips per portion.
More easy Chips recipes for you
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Quick & Easy Salt and Pepper Chips with step by step instructions
- 400 g Oven Chips
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 White onion sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper / black pepper
- 1 red or green chilli
- 1 spring onion scallion
- 1 red chilli sliced
- Preheat oven to 428°F (220°C). Spread out the chips on a baking tray or use oven proof mesh tray and bake for 14-15 minutes.
- Alternatively, Air fry the frozen chips. Preheat the Air fryer at 400°F / 202°C for 3 minutes. Place the chips in the air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F (202°C) for 10-12 minutes.
- In the mean while,Heat oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the onion, garlic and saute briefly.
- Add the red pepper, chilli and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the chinese five spice, salt pepper, air fried or oven baked chips. Toss well to coat the spices, for about a minute.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with spring onions, chilli ( using if any) and serve.