Easy Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce ready in 14 minutes! drizzle on your favorite desserts, stir in your sweets, or even make a Milkshake!
Its all about the Salted Caramel Sauce ! Okay Guys.. But let me tell you, making Salted Caramel Sauce at home has been on my mind ever since we visited Gourmet Burger Kitchen, a few months back. With those gigantic burgers, open faced and what not, we also chose to treat ourselves to some yummilicious exemplary drinks. Guess one of us chose to have Falafel burger which had Handmade falafels, beetroot & mint hummus, tahini sauce, siracha sauce, pickled onions and salad between the burger buns. And then we grabbed ourselves Salted Caramel Milkshake, Peanut Butter Milkshake and classic Vanilla Milkshake.
Since then, the urge to make my very own Salted Caramel sauce at home has been on my mind. And ultimately my very own salted caramel shake.. I did too .. :))
Its just soo good.. you will love it on top of your waffles, salted caramel buttercream over cupcakes, shakes and endless possibilities.
I have made it many years ago, but not sure on the source of the recipe. So another elaborate search for my perfect recipe began then.. I came across a few which required to use water and some didn’t. Some recipes did call eye balling on the color of the caramel whilst some said be precise with the thermometer. I find all these tips handy !
Making Salted Caramel is easy and it uses the basic ingredients – Unsalted Butter, Sugar, Vanilla, Cream and Salt. Then its up to one’s individual choice to use Salted Butter or not.
Well, I prefer to have a control the quantity of salt in my food, so I chose to top it up rather than using salted butter. I was sent a Chef’s Precision Digital Instant Thermometer by the lovely folks at OXO and it had to be put to use.
But remember a few things – Always use a stainless steel pan and a whisk.
Do not walk away whilst making Caramel sauce. you Only need few minutes. Remember to keep your kiddos buzy and your phone on silent. Don’t leave the pot unattended as you will be learning the hard way. Cooking time is approximately 12-14 minutes, but all the build up and excitement of making it takes more time.
Once the caramel cools down, it will thicken. It’s perfectly normal.
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 12 Tbsp Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 Cup Double Cream or Heavy cream
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- To a large stainless steel pan, evenly spread the sugar to the bottom of a pan. Heat the sugar over medium heat and begin whisking until sugar melts down. The sugar will become a lump, its perfectly normal in the process. Continuous whisking will ensure the sugar melts down. Continue cooking until a deep amber color is achieved or the thermometer reads 300F.
- Add softened cubes of butter to this melted sugar.The mixture will rapidly bubble up when the butter is added. This is happening as very hot mixture is coming in contact with a slightly cold ingredient. Whisk the mixture well ensuring there are no lumps.
- Take the pan away from heat, stir in vanilla extract and slowly drizzle double cream. Whisk well until you have a smooth sauce. Remember to be careful as the salted caramel sauce will rapidly bubble up. Add sea salt and whisk to mix well.
- Allow the Salted Caramel Sauce to cool down and then carefully pour into the glass jars.Store in the refrigerator for upto 4 weeks.