Schezwan Chilli Potatoes ! Its Spicy. Its Hot ! and yes its a recipe from my favourite cuisine Indo-Chinese!!
Indo-Chinese Cuisine has been ever so popular in India and it is infact one of the favourite most dishes on any menu card. Gobi Manchurian, Soya Manchurian,Fried Rice, Veg Chowmein – I could just go on and on.
Chinese New Year, the year of the Rooster falls on the 28th Jan 2017 this year. To shower some love from Me to the lovely celebration, I decided to cook up some Schezwan Chilli Potatoes . Sichuan Chilli Potatoes can be enjoyed as an appetiser or as a Side Dish to Vegetable Noodles. However, We did enjoy the combo of Garlic Noodles and Schezwan Chilli Potatoes today.
While Preparing Schezwan Chilli Potatoes, there are few key pointers to bear in mind.
Potatoes need to retain its shape, else this finger-licking dish will lose its identity. Do not over cook the potatoes.
Use of Schezwan Peppers gives the dish its name – Schezwan Chilli Potatoes.
Using Normal black peppers would not give the kick of flavor what is meant to be achieved.
Whilst I was all geared up to cook up some delicious Indo Chinese Recipe , Folks at Wing Yip Store sent me a gorgeous hamper for the celebration. A range of Chinese Sauces, Noodles, tableware and a carbon steel wok to pump up . How awesome is that !!
Wing Yip has a wealth of ingredients to ensure UK celebrate in true Oriental style. With over 4,500 Oriental products to choose from, Wing Yip has a range of products to suit all cooking needs – from buying a first wok, to finding the perfect hoi sin sauce.
With a handy bottle of Schezwan Sauce, I didn’t prepare it at home for this recipe. However, its fairly simple if you want to make it at home.
I had no second thought on how to make them, as MasterChef Sanjeev Kapoor’s Recipes has been my to go support. But I did tailor the recipe to suit our palette.
MORE INDO CHINESE RECIPES TO TRY
SCHEZWAN CHILLI POTATOES RECIPE
Ingredients for Crispy Baby Potatoes
- 300 g Baby Potatoes peeled and halved
- 2 Dried Red Chillies broken into halves
- 10 Sichuan Peppers
- 3 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 Small Red Onions finely sliced
- 2 Finely Chopped White Stalk of Spring Onions
- Oil for Frying
- 3 Tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Tbsp Schezwan Sauce
- 1 Tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 Tsp Siracha Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Vinegar
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Finely chopped green stalk of Spring Onions
- Peel and halve the baby potatoes. Par Boil the potatoes roughly 10 - 12 minutes until the fork could just be inserted.Drain the water and allow it cool.
- Heat oil in deep pan. Add 2 Tblspn Cornflour, pinch of salt to the par boiled potatoes and mix them well. Add the potatoes to the heated oil and deep fry them until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Drain them on to kitchen towels.A slightly crispy coating will be there on the outer edges whilst inside of the potatoes will be soft.
- Add the remaining 1 Tblspn of Cornflour to 1/4 Cup of water and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tblspn of Oil in Wok on a high heat. Add the broken red chillies and saute for a minutes. Add Sichuan peppers, sliced red onions, white stalk of spring onions, garlic and saute them.
- Stir in Schezwan Chilli Sauce,Soya Sauce, Siracha Sauce to 1/4 Cup of water and add it to the Wok. Add the fried baby potatoes, salt, a pinch of sugar and toss them, inorder to coat the potatoes.
- Add the prepared cornflour mixture and a splash of vinegar. Stir the mixture for another 1 minute and then add them to serving dish right away. Garnish with Green Stalk of Spring Onions and serve with Garlic Noodles.