Enjoy a hearty and flavourful vegetarian twist on a classic dish with our Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie. Made with Quorn Crispy Nuggets and topped with a rich white sauce and creamy mashed potatoes, this casserole is perfect for a comforting family dinner.
Disclosure – This post is sponsored by Quorn.
Make Vegetarian Crispy Nuggets Shepherd’s Pie
Our Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious and unique spin on the classic Shepherd’s Pie. I have combined the comfort of the traditional dish with the added flavour of chicken-style nuggets.
The nuggets bring a new texture and taste to the dish, making it perfect for a satisfying and hearty meal. And the best part? The creamy white sauce and fluffy mashed potatoes on top, make it a tasty dinner option or a perfect alternative for a Sunday roast.
If you are big fans of easy dinner recipes then follow my easy no fuss vegetarian Shepherds recipe to make this at home!
Why you’ll love this recipe?
- Vegetarian shepherd’s pie a versatile dish, can be served as a main course, side dish, or even as a comforting and filling dinner option.
- Easy to make and can be customised to your liking.
- The dish is packed with nutrients from the vegetables used, making it a well-rounded meal.
- It’s a great way to incorporate more protein in your diet, without compromising on taste and texture.
- The use of Quorn chicken-style nuggets in this recipe, makes it a great option for those who are looking for meat alternatives.
How to cook Vegetarian Chicken Nuggets?
I find cooking Vegetarian Chicken Nuggets from Quorn to be simple and easy. These tasty Quorn Crispy Nuggets are not only low in saturated fat but also a source of protein and fibre.
To prepare them, I preheat my oven to Fan 200°C, then place the Quorn nuggets on a baking dish and cook them on the middle shelf for 15 minutes. The result is crispy and delicious nuggets that I can enjoy as an appetiser or add to my favourite recipes.
Whether I serve them on their own or as part of a dish like this shepherd’s pie, these Quorn Crispy Nuggets are sure to be a crowd-pleaser among family and friends.
Easiest White Sauce recipe for casserole
This recipe for white sauce is perfect for casseroles. To make it, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery, onion, garlic, and carrots and sauté for a few minutes until softened, about 5 minutes.
Then, mix in flour and continue stirring until the vegetables absorb it.
Gradually pour in vegetable stock and cream, whisking until you get a smooth and creamy sauce. Finally, add vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has slightly thickened.
Your creamy white sauce is now ready to use.
Mashed Potatoes recipe
Just like everyone has their go-to mashed potatoes recipe, I have mine too. My recipe for creamy mashed potatoes can be made in advance, up to 2 days, so that you can either enjoy it as a side dish or use it in other recipes.
Cook the Potatoes – Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until tender. TIP: The potatoes are cooked when they can easily be pierced with a knife.
Prepare the Topping – Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and return them to the pan off the heat. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or ricer, and then add the butter and cream. Mix well, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Creamy mashed potatoes ready to be used.
How to make Vegetarian Shepherd’s pie?
Ingredients and Instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have the three components ready, it is a matter of just assembling them and baking in the oven.
- Arrange the nuggets as the base layer.
- Transfer the white sauce mixture on top of the nuggets.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top, smooth out, and then fork it to bring out some texture.
- Bake in the 190C preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Variations ( Change it up)
Add other vegetables like mushrooms, corn, broccoli etc.
Use a tomato based gravy as in the traditional Shepherds pie recipe.
Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top of mashed potatoes before baking.
What to serve with vegetarian Quorn Crispy Nuggets shepherds pie?
Shepherd’s pie is a complete and filling dish on its own, but you can also serve it with additional sides to make it even more satisfying.
- A simple green salad
- Roasted or steamed vegetables such as green peas, air fried carrots, roasted green beans or roasted broccoli
- A side of sautéed or roasted potatoes or roasted mushroom
- With no mayo coleslaw
- Freshly baked garlic knots or homemade dinner rolls
- A simple side of steamed rice or quinoa.
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie recipe below
- 10 Quorn Crispy Nuggets
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 stalk celery diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 400 g mixed vegetables 4 cups
- 236 ml vegetable stock 1 cup
- 236 ml cream 1 cup
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 900 g potato peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50 g butter
- 50 g cream
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
Quorn Crispy Nuggets
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7.
- Place the Quorn Crispy Nuggets in a baking dish and cook them in the middle shelf for 15 minutes. Set it aside.
Creamy White sauce
- In the mean while prepare the white sauce. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the celery, onion and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until the vegetables absorb the flour. Slowly add the vegetable stock, cream in small portions, whisking until you have creamy sauce.
- Add the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce has slightly thickened.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until tender. TIP: The potatoes are cooked when they can easily be pierced with a knife.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and return them to the pan off the heat. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or ricer, and then add the butter and cream. Mix well, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Creamy mashed potatoes ready to be used.
- To assemble, start by taking out the baking dish with Quorn Crispy Nuggets. Then, add the white sauce mixture on top of the nuggets. Next, spread the mashed potatoes over the mixture and smooth it out. Finally, use a fork to create texture on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. Allow the pie to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired and serve warm.