This Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a quick and delicious solution for busy weeknights. Made with spaghetti, garlic, and olive oil, this dish takes just 20 minutes to prepare and is seasoned to perfection. If you are in need of a speedy dinner idea, try our simple Spaghetti Aglio e Olio recipe.
About our homemade Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a classic pasta dish of Italy, that’s easy to make and full of flavor. With spaghetti and just 4 other ingredients – garlic, olive oil, parsley, and chilli flakes – you can have a delicious meal in just 20 minutes.
To make the sauce, the spaghetti is mixed with hot starchy pasta water and the garlicky oil. The heat helps the oil emulsify into a glossy sauce while the spaghetti absorbs extra flavor. It’s a simple way to make a tasty sauce without using cream.
So next time, you’re looking for a quick and delicious dinner, try our homemade Spaghetti Aglio e Olio. All you need is a pot of boiling water, some pasta, and a few pantry staples. Thinking how to make the same dish in just one pot – make Instant Pot Spaghetti Aglio e Olio. I have detailed the instructions below in the recipe card.
- Spaghetti: The classic pasta used for this dish, but feel free to use your favorite type of pasta like angel hair, fettuccine, or linguine would also work well.
- Olive Oil: Use high-quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
- Garlic: Four cloves of garlic, either sliced or minced, will add a rich, savory flavor to the dish.
- Red Chilli Flakes: A small amount of chilli flakes will give the dish a slight kick of heat. If you don’t have red chilli flakes, you can use red pepper flakes, dried red chilli peppers, or even a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Garnishes: Fresh parsley, lemon zest, or grated parmesan cheese are great options for garnishing this dish.
How to make spaghettini aglio olio?
5 Easy steps to make this classic pasta dish at home.
Cook the Pasta: Boil 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of spaghetti. Cook the pasta until it’s al-dente. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water before draining the spaghetti.
Cook the Garlic: Slice the garlic and add it to a cold skillet with olive oil. Place the skillet on medium heat and let the garlic sizzle until it turns light brown. Add red pepper flakes and dried parsley and stir.
Toss the Pasta: Add the spaghetti to the pan of garlicky oil and the reserved pasta water. Toss the pasta for about 1 minute until it’s evenly coated. Season with salt and red chilli flakes to taste.
Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve the Spaghettini Aglio Olio hot immediately.
Optional: Add parmesan or cheddar cheese and mix.
Why make Spaghetti Aglio e Olio in Instant Pot?
Cooking Spaghetti Aglio e Olio in an Instant Pot is a game changer! As busy moms, we’re always looking for simple and quick meals to make for our families. That’s why we love the Instant Pot spaghetti aglio olio!
With this recipe, there’s no need for baby-sitting the pot, no need for multiple pots, and best of all, it’s ready in just 20 minutes. Plus, with only one pot to wash, clean up is a breeze.
This easy pasta dish is the ultimate vegan spaghetti aglio olio and can be served as is or with added Parmesan or Cheddar cheese for extra flavor. My kids love it with lots of cheese and a dollop of butter. With this meal, everyone at the table is sure to be happy.
How to make Instant Pot Spaghetti Aglio e Olio?
To make Spaghetti Aglio e Olio in an Instant Pot:
Saute Garlic: Press “Sauté” on the Instant Pot and add olive oil and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until garlic is brown. Add red pepper flakes and press “Cancel”.
Cook in Instant Pot: Add halved spaghetti, water, parsley, and salt. Secure the lid, set the valve to “Sealing”, and pressure cook on “High” for 5 minutes. Release pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully stir the pasta.
Season and Serve: Season with salt and parmesan cheese (if using any) to taste and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with garlic bread or salad.
These tips should help you make a delicious and simple Spaghetti Aglio Olio dish.
- Gather all the ingredients before you start making.
- You can use any type of pasta to make aglio e olio, but spaghetti is particularly popular for this recipe. Keep in mind that cooking time in the Instant Pot may vary depending on the type of pasta used.
- Serve hot for the best taste. Pasta tends to become sticky when it’s cold, so it’s best to add cheese just before eating.
- Use tongs to gently mix the spaghetti, and if there is any water left in the pan, it will create a glossy sauce that will be absorbed over time.
- If there is more water left in the pot than desired, turn on the saute mode and allow the sauce to cook for 1 minute (if using an Instant Pot).
Variations (Change it up)
To change up the classic Spaghettini Aglio e olio, add any of these
Add Protein: Toss in some roasted or sautéed mushrooms, seasoned tofu, or creamy avocado to boost the protein content.
Spicy: Up the heat with extra red pepper flakes or fresh jalapenos.
Add basil: Stir in some fresh basil for a touch of sweetness and a basil aroma.
Veggie-Packed: Add some oven-roasted / air fryer vegetables or any of your favorite veggies like cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, or aubergine for a healthy and filling twist.
Butter & Cheese: After cooking the dish, add grated cheese and salted butter for cheesy dish, just before serving.
What to serve with?
Serve Spaghetti Aglio Olio with sides that complement its flavors. Some of our favourite are
- Cheesy Garlic bread or Garlic knots
- Salad: a fresh mixed greens salad with a light vinaigrette dressing
- Air fryer Roasted vegetables or roasted mushrooms
- Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese for added flavor and texture
- Fresh basil: adds a fresh, herbal flavor to the dish
Storing leftover Spaghetti Olio
To store Spaghetti Aglio Olio, simply let it cool to room temperature. Then, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. When ready to serve, reheat the spaghetti in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot and enjoy! Remember, the pasta might become a little dry in the fridge, so feel free to add a splash of pasta water when reheating.
Easy peasy Spaghetti Aglio Olio recipe below
- 14 oz Spaghetti 400 g
- 2¼ Cups Water
- ¼-½ tsp Red Pepper Chilli Flakes or Italian Peperoncino
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 5 Cloves Garlic thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese Optional
- 3 Tbsp Fresh flat leaf Parsley finely chopped
Stove top instructions
- Cook spaghetti in salted water until al-dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add the sliced garlic to a cold skillet with olive oil. Place on medium heat and allow to sizzle and turn brown.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes, parsley, and stir.
- Add the spaghetti and a half cup of starchy pasta water to the pan of garlicky oil one minute before the pasta is done cooking.
- Toss the pasta while the heat and starch help the garlic oil emulsify into a beautiful glossy sauce. The pasta will also soak up extra garlicky flavors as it finishes cooking.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve hot.
Instant Pot instructions
- Break spaghetti into halves and set aside.
- Press “Sauté” on the Instant Pot and add olive oil and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until garlic is brown.
- Add red pepper flakes and press “Cancel”.
- Add halved spaghetti, water, parsley, and salt. Secure the lid, set the valve to “Sealing”, and pressure cook on “High” for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully stir the pasta.
- Season with salt and parmesan cheese to taste and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with garlic bread or salad.
- If you enjoy a spicer aglio e olio add a good tablespoon of red pepper flakes.
- For a buttery flavour – replace half the olive oil with unsalted butter
- Add a generous portion – approximately 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese or Cheddar Cheese for the cheesy kick.