This Star bread is festive, fun, pretty and oh so delicious and easy! Our festive bread recipe uses pantry ingredients and its simpler to make, than you can imagine.
The perfect Nutella Monkey Pull Apart Bread for all your upcoming holiday breakfast!
Take a look at the recipe video and step by step tutorials below.
CHRISTMAS STAR BREAD RECIPE
I was lucky to sample Star Bread made by one my chef friends, a few years back. The Tear and Share bread was filled with jam and utterly delicious.
However I thought bread baking was daunting and handling yeast was almost impossible then. But he was kind enough to teach me how easy peasy it is to make a White bread and Dinner Rolls. Baking Bread Saga began since then!
It is really easy to make Star bread and the preparation is very similar to Dinner Rolls. When I first make nutella star bread – I got only 7 stars instead of 8, they were imperfectly perfect!
I had forgotten to cut through the partitions evenly.. But they were nothing short of deliciousness.
Warm, sweet, loaded with chocolate hazelnut spread – It’s simply delicious & gratifying.
This Star Twisted Bread recipe
- is perfect for everyday and for occasions
- easy to make with 5 steps to follow
- delicious and sure to please your guests
- makes for a great breakfast or as a dessert
- is customisable with fillings of your choice
You will only need pantry ingredients and filling of your choice, to make this bread. You need the following –
Step by Step Instructions
Here’s how to make this Star bread in 5 easy steps. The method involves the following basic steps to make this elegant bread.
Step 1 – To make star bread, start with the dough. I love using Instant Yeast in my bread recipes – as it speeds up the process and there is no waiting time for the yeast mixture to bloom etc.
Place the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.
In a separate mixing bowl – add melted butter, egg, milk and sugar. Attach the dough hook and turn on the mixer to give the wet ingredients a mix.
Now add the flour mix in 2 instances to the wet mixture and knead the dough for 4-5 minutes at speed 4 until the dough comes together.
If you find the dough too sticky, add a portion of the reserved flour may be 2 -3 tablespoon and knead. The dough should be soft and pull away from the edge of the mixing bowl.
Alternatively to knead by hand, add all the ingredients in a bowl and knead until soft. This can take up to 20 minutes.
Step 2 – Proof the Dough. You can proof the bread dough in a warm place and allow it rise for 2-3 hours or until it doubles in size.
Alternatively, you can place the dough in the Instant Pot and secure the pot with the glass lid. Select the Yogurt mode and 1 hour. After an hour, you will find the dough doubled in size, irrespective of the weather and location.
Deflate the dough.
Step 3 – Layer the Dough with filling – Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide the dough into 4. Pick one portion at a time and roll into 11- 12 inch circle. Repeat with the remaining 3 portions.
It is okay – if the circle is not perfect. You can use a plate on the rolled dough and cut the extra’s with a pizza cutter.
Now place one rolled portion on a parchment paper. Spread 1 Tablespoon of Nutella. Repeat two more times, layering the dough and the nutella filling until you place the fourth layer.
Step 4- Place a 2 – 2 1/4 inch round cutter on top of the dough in the center. Make 16 spaced cuts from the round cutter to the edge. Use a knife or a pizza cutter to make the cuts.
Grab 2 adjacent strips, twist outwards twice and pinch the ends together.
Repeat until you have 8 stars in total.
Step 4 – Double Rise – Cover the bread and allow it rise for about 30 minutes.
Step 5 – Preheat the oven to 190 C/ 375F. Brush the bread with egg or milk. Bake the bread for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter.
Cool on a wire rack! Dust with Icing Sugar & serve.
Serve this delicious nutella filled star bread warm. Dust with icing sugar / powdered sugar for a snowy feeling.
You can also serve with some warm custard – it is delicious.
This bread tastes BEST, when its warm. However you can reheat them in the microwave for 20 -30 seconds and serve.
Storing the Leftover Bread
Store the leftover star bread in airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
STAR BREAD FILLINGS
There are at least 20 ways to fill the star twisted bread and I have listed some of my favourite ones below.
- Cinnamon & Sugar
- Nutella or any other hazelnut spread
- Chocolate Sauce
- Jam / Preserve – My favourite one is the Instant Pot Strawberry Jam – they are perfect in this bread as a filling.
- Pesto Sauce like Basil Pesto , Cilantro Pesto are great too!
- Cheese & Herb filling will be perfect for an appetiser for game night or even barbecue.
- Samosa filling
THE MISTAKES I LEARNT FROM FOR MAKING STAR BREAD
- Take time for cutting the strips out of the dough. Use a ruler if necessary. Do not rush in doing it as you may end up in uneven strips and thereafter uneven stars.
- Keep the cutter in the middle while cutting the strips – so that you don’t accidentally run over the centre, like me.
- Do not fill it with gritty textured jam. Slicing can be hard.
- Make sure the Yeast is well within the expiry date.
- Use a thermometer for warming the milk. I place them in the microwave for 60 seconds and ensure it is 110 F.
- Do not stress about Perfection – Have fun and you will have a delicious bread.
- If you are planning to layer the bread with a savoury filling, make sure you add less sugar to the dough.
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE THESE BREAD RECIPES
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
HOLIDAY STAR BREAD FILLED WITH NUTELLA
- 3 ¼ Cup Flour
- 2¼ tsp or 7g Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Warm Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 4 Tbsp Nutella or filling of your choice
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- ¼ Cup Icing Sugar
KNEAD THE DOUGH
- Place the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl – add melted butter, egg, milk and sugar. Attach the dough hook and turn on the mixer to give the wet ingredients a mix.
- Now add the flour mix in 2 instances to the wet mixture and knead the dough for 4-5 minutes at speed 4 until the dough comes together.
- If you find the dough too sticky, add a portion of the reserved flour may be 2 -3 tablespoon and knead. The dough should be soft and pull away from the edge of the mixing bowl.
- Alternatively to knead by hand, add all the ingredients in a bowl and knead until soft. This can take up to 20 minutes.
HOW TO PROOF THE DOUGH ?
- Grease a large bowl and transfer the kneaded dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or damp towel. Allow the it rise for 1 hour at room temperature or until it doubles the size.
- Remove the cling film/ plastic wrap. Deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
HOW TO PROOF DOUGH IN INSTANT POT?
- Grease the Inner Pot of the Instant Pot with butter/ oil.
- Place the dough in the greased pot. Close the lid and leave the knob in venting.
- Select the Yogurt Setting and adjust the time for 60 mins. After 60 minutes, cancel the yogurt setting. Open the lid to see the raised dinner roll dough.
- Deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
DIVIDE THE DOUGH & LAYER WITH FILLING
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide the dough into 4. Pick one portion at a time and roll into 11- 12 inch circle. Repeat with the remaining 3 portions.
- Now place one rolled portion on a parchment paper. Spread 1 Tablespoon of Nutella. Repeat two more times, layering the dough and the nutella filling until you place the fourth layer.
- Place a 2 – 2 ¼ inch round cutter on top of the dough in the center. Make 16 spaced cuts from the round cutter to the edge. Use a knife or a pizza cutter to make the cuts.Grab 2 adjacent strips, twist outwards twice and pinch the ends together.Repeat until you have 8 stars in total.
- Cover with soft towel or plastic and allow for a second rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the bread with milk or egg wash.
BAKE THE STAR BREAD
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190 C. Position the Tray into the middle shelf of the oven and bake the bread for 18 to 22 minutes until cooked through or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the star bread from the oven and brush with melted butter. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with Icing Sugar and serve warm.