Churmuri is an instant No Cook healthy Street food, prepared by mixing chopped vegetables with puffed rice, tossed with spices and served immediately.
Learn how to make this quick and easy street food recipe from Karnataka in 10 minutes.
10 MINUTES CHURMURI RECIPE
But over the years, I have fallen is love with any locally made street food. It can be Masala Puri made by the local vendor in Bangalore or some Golgappa’s / Ram Ladoo from the street stall in Delhi.
As I vaguely remember, we were famished while travelling back to Mysore and we had pit stopped for a coffee and a quick grab. Amma loved her snack loaded with spicy chilli powder whilst she requested the vendor to tailor it our liking with NO spicy ingredients.
I loved every bit of the snack served in the paper cone and they have been in memories for a while. Churumuri was the Snack, very native to Karnataka and every region takes pride in their street food.
WHAT IS CHURMURI?
Churumuri is a healthy Street food from Karnataka state in India. It does not need many fancy ingredients. Most of the ingredients for this street food are readily available in our pantry.
It is a mixture of puffed rice, onion, tomato, carrots & raw mango and coconut oil Finally tossed well and garnished with diced onions, coriander leaves and a drizzle of lemon juice.
Adding a good portion of coconut oil or groundnut oil is a must to this Churmuri recipe. Do not try to replace it with any other oil like olive oil or mustard oil, as all the goodness and authenticity to this Street food comes solely from simple ingredients flavours.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
CHURMURI RECIPE – STREET FOOD OF KARNATAKA
- 3 Cups Puffed Rice
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil at room temperature
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 Carrot grated
- 1 Small Green Chillies finely chopped – Optional
- 1/2-3/4 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice or Juice of medium sized lemon
- 3 Tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the vegetables, green chillies, coconut oil, chilli powder, lemon juice and mix well.
- Add puffed rice, roasted peanuts and toss well until the puffed rice is coated well with the spice mixture.
- Season with salt. Garnish with coriander leaves, few peanuts, onions and serve.
- Serve the Churmuri right away after making time.
- Leaving it in the bowl after mixing the puffed rice can make them soggy.
- Chilli Powder can be adjusted to suit your liking. You may omit them too if you are making them for smaller children.
- Adding Raw Mango would be delicious, but if it is not available, you may leave them out.
- For a variation, sprinkle a good fat pinch of chat masala.