Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl that we savoured for dinner yesterday!!
Vegan Buddha Bowls loaded with sweet potato, colourful vegetables and all topped off with a creamy Vegan green goddess dressing. Quick & Easy protein packed bowl recipe that truly delicious and nutritious.
SWEET POTATO BUDDHA BOWL RECIPE
Quickly roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, red peppers, purple cabbage, avocado and brown rice, all drizzled over this delicious green cilantro dressing. So Good!!!
If you are following me on Instagram, you will know that I recently started posting vegan bowls on my feed and we really love it! Stay tuned – as you will have two more delicious vegan buddha bowls coming up soon.
WHAT IS BUDDHA BOWL?
A Buddha bowl is a vegetarian meal, consisting of small portions of veggies, whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice and plant proteins such as chickpeas or tofu, served warm or cold.
We love Buddha Bowls and have been enjoying them for a while now. Recently we saw the Netflix series Buddha – after which I thought, I know why it’s called a buddha bowl. After achieving Nirvana, Siddhartha Gautama became Buddha or the awakened one! He always begged for alms for his only meal of the day and savoured them in that one bowl.Hence I think its called BUDDHA BOWL.
But a lot of people believe that Buddha bowl resembles the shape of “Laughing Buddha’s belly”. That fat jolly fella isn’t the awakened One – founder of Buddhism!
How interesting is this!
HOW TO MAKE A BUDDHA BOWL?
Both Hari and me love salads and love the concept of bowl food. It is extremely important to take into account – NUTRITION, TEXTURE, COLOR and FLAVORS, while building a buddha bowl.
So many ways to create a delicious Buddha Bowl. To create this Buddha Bowl with Sweet potatoes, I chose my veggies as Sweet Potato, Cabbage, Spinach, Red Pepper and Avocado. Some Roasted chickpeas for a little crunch. Also served them on a bed of brown rice. You can also use some quinoa.
Vegan Green Goddess Dressing for a delicious spin with added flavors.
Ingredients You’ll need for Vegan Buddha Bowls 🥣🥣🥣🥣
📌Oven roasted Sweet potato & Chickpeas
📌Avocado + super-seeded
📌on a Bed of Brown Rice
📌Served with my Vegan Green Dressing
Sweet Potato – Peel the sweet potato and cut them to 1/2 inch cubes, as we will be roasting together the potatoes and chickpeas
Roasted Chickpeas adds a delicious crunch!
Red Bell Pepper – I like to enjoy raw pepper but occasionally love roasted ones too to bring out the juicy flavor.
Purple Cabbage & Baby Spinach – adds such an amazing texture to this salad bowl
Avocado – What’s a buddha bowl without an avocado. I love fresh creamy avocado in my bowls -they are so attractive!
Green Goddess Dressing – This dressing is made with my favourite pesto recipe stirred with yogurt.
How To Assemble this Vegan Buddha Bowl?
It’s simply toss, dump and serve concept for Buddha Bowls. I like my Vegan Buddha Bowls pretty! So I really take the color into account while assembling it.
Roast the sweet potato and chickpeas together in the same pan . If you like, also add the red peppers and roast. I like it raw, so did not add it to my pan.
While the sweet potatoes are getting roasted, start preparing the bowls.
First, start with a bed of brown rice or quinoa. On the top of the rice, add the remaining ingredients spinach, avocado and red peppers until you get them around the bowl.
Add the potatoes and chickpeas once they are ready.
I like to finish off with a drizzle of my delicious Green Goddess Dressing. Fresh Lemon Juice for extra deliciousness!
Don’t forget to check out these Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes Next!
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Post a photo of your creation on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #sandhyaskitchen. I would love to see your pictures of this ultimate vegan buddha bowls !
- 2 cup Brown Rice cooked
- 1 large Sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado peeled pitted and sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Pesto
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with salt, pepper and paprika. Arrange them on a single layer in the pan.
- Arrange the chickpeas next to the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- Drizzle olive oil all over the potatoes and chickpeas.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or just until the sweet potatoes are tender and chickpeas are crispy.
- Prepare the buddha bowls. Divide the brown rice between 2 bowls.
- On the bed of brown rice, arrange the roasted sweet potatoes & chickpeas, purple cabbage, spinach, and avocado between the bowls.
- For Green Goddess dressing, whisk together the cilantro pesto & yogurt, salt & pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing generously over the sweet potato buddha bowls and serve.