South Indian Tomato Rice is a quick and easy One Pot Meal made with a handful of ingredients. Serve as a delicious midweek meal recipe or to pack for your lunch boxes.
ABOUT THIS EASY TOMATO RICE RECIPE
Tomato rice is also known as Thakkali Sadam in Tamil language. It is also a firm favorite of many, hailing from Tamil Nadu in India.
Not only is this Tomato rice delicious, it is quick, easy and healthy too. Serve this rice with Potato Crisps, Raita and salad for a super hit combination.
Scanning through my laser eyes, I was looking for super quick ingredients to make up for the family meal. Washed and Drained the rice. I picked a few tomatoes off the vine and together I knew it’s going to be Tomato Rice. One pot meal with very minimal spices and basic ingredients from the pantry is all that is needed to make Tomato Rice. Served them with Salad, Onion Raitha & Chips.
My Boy has got some sort of weird mind block with Tomatoes. He doesn’t mind Ketchup, a curry, tomato based gravy but not tomatoes in pieces. While making Tomato rice today, my motive was to get the kiddos eat without being any grumpy. Sigh !! Can there be no traces of tomatoes in Tomato Rice? Impossible – kind off. He enjoyed his platter dunking the rice in lots of yoghurt and crisps, with carefully leaving little remanence of tomatoes at the edge of the plate.
Still feeling totally accomplished when a picky eater enjoys the platter rather than wooing. I have one more reason to work on this post unexpectedly 🙂 My new boards had to be shown off. For the last 10 days, it has been raining most of the time with a cast of grey clouds. I ended up painting this board to depicting my mood. So so glad about the final outcome of the prop board. How do u guys like it? Do let me know .
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Tomatoes diced
- 1 Medium sized Onion finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilly finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbsp mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Green Peas Optional
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Ground coriander
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Salt as needed
- 2 Tsp Sunflower Oil
- 3/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds Methi Seeds
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Mint Leaves
- Wash the rice until clear and soak in water for 20 minutes. Drain before use.
- Heat 2 Tsp of Oil, add mustard seeds and allow it splutter. Add Fenugreek seeds followed by curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste, green chilly, onion and Saute until the raw smell begins to eliminate. This can take upto 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and saute again.
- Now add Tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and black pepper powder. Saute them all until the tomatoes get soft and mushy. Add the green peas and stir in well. ( this is optional )
- Add the Rice,water and stir to combine. Allow the rice to cook in medium flame. .Once all the water is nearly evaporated, cover the pot with a lid and cook for another 5 minutes in low flame. Turn off the gas and set aside.
- Open the pan, fluff the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves. Serve with Raitha, Crisps or Papad and Salad.