Easy Vegetable Biryani cooked in alternate layers of vegetables simmered in gravy & steamed white rice, in Dum Method. This flavorsome and aromatic Indian rice dish has the perfect restaurant flavors.
Try this once and you will skip visiting your favorite takeaway/restaurant for veg biryani. Because it tastes just like the Biryani from the restaurant.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
I am not going to call this Veg Biryani recipe Quick, but it is definitely easy and fool proof.
** This recipe for Vegetable Biryani is tried and tested by many readers. Each and every time this Veg Biryani is made, readers do come back and tell me how much their family loved it**
Vegetable Biryani really does not need any introduction. This Indian descent rice dish has acclaimed fame all over the world. Walk into any Indian restaurant in the world, Vegetable Biryani has a place on its menu.
Let me tell you about some amazing facts of Biryani – there are so many adaptations to this rice dish across India. Every state/region have their own twist and flavours to this layered rice. How wonderful can it be…
Weekend’s are ideal to enjoy Biryani. I know a lot of you think – can you really have a biryani without meat? Well you certainly can.. . You just need to come out of the mind block and enjoy this gorgeous combination of layered rice.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT VEGETABLE BIRYANI?
The key step to a great Biryani is having the rice cooked to perfection, where every single grain of rice is fluffed and separated. Once your rice is sorted, there are umpteen options for cooking methods, vegetable choices, spices, and even toppings.
Biryani can be cooked in One Pot, Instant Pot or Many pots. It all depends on how much time you have got and what time of flavors you would like to achieve. There are cheat methods for an easy veg biryani too and my post will show you how.
If you are looking for alternative Rice Dishes to try, check out
HAVE YOU MADE MY VEG BIRYANI RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE BELOW
Ingredients for Vegetable Biryani
- 2 Cup Basmati Rice
- 3 No BayLeaf
- 2 No Black cardamom | Badi Elachi
- 1″ Cinnamon Stick
- 3-4 No’s Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 4 Cups Boiling Water
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Cup Frozen Vegetables Carrots, Beans, Sweet Corn, Green Peas, defrosted
- 2 Medium Onions sliced thin
- 3 Medium sized Tomatoes cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Clove
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cardamom
- Coriander Leaves
- Mint Leaves
First Step – Cooking the rice for layering
- Wash Rice under running tap water and keep it aside for at least 30 minutes. Heat butter in a non-stick pan. Alternatively you could use a combination of oil+ butter. Once heated, pop in the whole garam masala’s. Fry them for 1-2 minutes until done. At this stage, add the washed rice and fry them for roughly 4-5 minutes until all the water gets evaporated. Add 4 cups of Boiling water and allow to cook until its 3/4 done. Drain the excess water and spread them on a large plate.
Second Step – Preparing the vegetable gravy for layering
- The second step is to prepare the gravy. In a good tsp of Oil, add cumin seeds followed by ginger garlic paste. Fry until the raw smell is eliminated. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and fry until translucent. Add chopped tomatoes, saute until they get soft.It's time to add the vegetables and give it a good stir. Sprinkle turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, 1/2 the garam masala, salt and 1/2 cup of water.Cover with lid and cook until the vegetables are nearly done. Turn off the gas and pour all the gravy aside into another bowl.
Third Step – To alternate layers of Rice and Vegetable Gravy
- The last and final step is to prepare the pan for dum biryani. In the very same pan that we cooked the gravy, spread a portion of the gravy ( containing the water + vegetables) in the base. Spread a layer of cooked rice followed by another layer of vegetables and then finally the rice. Sprinkle cardamom clove cinnamon powder and garam masala on the top. Cover with the lid and cook in low flame for 5 minutes. Turn off the gas and let them settle for about 10 minutes in the simmering heat within the pan. Just before serving, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and serve along with Raita.